Romans 8:23

Are you learning Koine Greek, the Greek of the New Testament and most other post-classical Greek texts? Whatever your level, use this forum to discuss all things Koine, Biblical or otherwise, including grammar, textbook talk, difficult passages, and more.
JauneFlammee
Textkit Neophyte

Romans 8:23

Post by JauneFlammee »

ἀπεκδεχόμενοι τὴν ἀπολύτρωσιν τοῦ σώματος ἡμῶν

This verse is classically interpreted as 'redemption of our bodies'. However given the definition of ἀπολύτρωσιν as 'Being set free,liberated by payment of a ransom' I'm confused.

It seems to me this clause could be interpreted in two ways with exact opposite meanings.

redemption of our bodies (ie a renewed and transformed version of this body)

or

liberation from our bodies (ie a complete freedom and release from this body)

Is the body what is liberated, or is it liberation from the body?

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

hey there,

While the construction makes a genitive of separation possible, I do not think that the context allows it.

Verse 11 says that the Spirit will renew our mortal bodies
Verses 19-22 speak of physical creation... and that it will be freed from its slavery to corruption--this would *have* to be a physical renewal, would it not? (unless the earth has a spirit, which I do not believe is an option).

I can't think of any places where Paul advocates a freedom/release from our physical bodies. Instead, he talks about overcoming the flesh and being renewed and regenerated in it. Thus I think that "redemption of our bodies" is a better translation. :)
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus