Krasis, elisis and hiati

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
nefercheprure
Textkit Neophyte

Krasis, elisis and hiati

Post by nefercheprure »

I wonder, is there a rule that tells when to use krasis, when to elide the final vowel, and when to leave hiatus? (I mean in prose, in verse it is dictated by the metrum)

whiteoctave
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by whiteoctave »

in which style do you mean? the rules tend to vary between the authors, the tightest ones being employed (surely) by Isocrates. can you specify which kind of Greek, as such things were of course at the discretion of the author.

~D

P.s. surely the pll. are kraseis, elisiones, hiatus?

Thucydides
Textkit Fan

Post by Thucydides »

Don't forget prodelision

nefercheprure
Textkit Neophyte

Post by nefercheprure »

I meant any style. I meant any rule, that is more specific then:
,,sometimes it happens.``

Isocrates sounds good. Maybe [Demosthenes, Plato, or Xenofon]'s style would be good as well. It really does not matter as long as it is (a) Attic prose (b) consistent rule set (c) based on real evidence.

(a) can be replaced by any single dialect (prose only) (Poikile Ias, Doric prose (eg. Archimedas), Archaia Ias, Koine, Aeolic dialect), but Attic dialect is prefferable for me, for I do not know enough of the other dialecti.

edit: And yes, I am interested in the rules for prodelision usage as well, though omitting it in the first place. (I could not recall the name of that particular phenomenon)