Chapter 10 questions

Are you learning Koine Greek, the Greek of the New Testament and most other post-classical Greek texts? Whatever your level, use this forum to discuss all things Koine, Biblical or otherwise, including grammar, textbook talk, difficult passages, and more.
Jimmym
Textkit Neophyte

Chapter 10 questions

Post by Jimmym »

Hi all
I am new to the forum, never posted yet. I am glad this forum is here for us to ask questions and hopefully get some answers. My name is Jimmy from New Jersey, right outside NYC. I am up to chapter 10, the voc was easy to learn but I have a few questions. Do the articles act the same with 3rd dec nouns as they do with 1st & 2nd dec nouns, Or some other way? 2nd question, from 2nd ed text book, why does 10.11 the word is TIN
One accented one not, why are they in all forms, is it becsaue this is not a noun, if so, why is it using the third dec paradigm? Not a 2nd?
Last question in 10.12 he runs through the word meaning one EIS, MIA, hEN, why does this word use the third dec paradigm?
Thanks again, and a big hello to you all from New Jersey!

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Re: Chapter 10 questions

Post by Bert »

Jimmym wrote:Hi all
I am new to the forum, never posted yet. I am glad this forum is here for us to ask questions and hopefully get some answers.
Welcome to Textkit. These forums are a great help in learning.
Jimmym wrote:My name is Jimmy from New Jersey, right outside NYC. I am up to chapter 10, the voc was easy to learn but I have a few questions. Do the articles act the same with 3rd dec nouns as they do with 1st & 2nd dec nouns, Or some other way?
The article is the same whether it goes with a 1st, 2nd or 3rd declension word. Sometimes the article can be a help (or a crutch). If you don't know the form of a noun but the noun has an article, the article will indicate whether the word is sg, pl, masc, fem, etc.
Jimmym wrote:2nd question, from 2nd ed text book, why does 10.11 the word is TIN
One accented one not, why are they in all forms, is it becsaue this is not a noun, if so, why is it using the third dec paradigm? Not a 2nd?
The difference in accenting distinguishes the interrogative pronoun (who? what? which? why?) from the indefinite pronoun (anyone anything someone etc.)
The reason all forms are listed is so that we can get used to the way 3rd declension words look. Compare the way this word is formed to the paradigm of pas pasa pan in paragraph 10.22
tis is a pronoun. Not only nouns decline. Also pronouns adjectives and the article.
Why it uses the 3rd declension I do not know. Why do we in English say -swam- and not .swimmed-.
Jimmym wrote: Last question in 10.12 he runs through the word meaning one EIS, MIA, hEN, why does this word use the third dec paradigm?

See above.
Jimmym wrote: Thanks again, and a big hello to you all from New Jersey!
Your welcome. I hope I was able to help.
If some of my info was inaccurate, some one else will correct me.
(One nice thing about this site is that people correct other without making them feel like a heel)

Geoff
Textkit Fan

Post by Geoff »

I think some Grammars refer to the entire range of "declinedd" words as the nominal (noun) system. Correct me if I'm wrong. Anyways you'll have to think of nouns, adjectives, and pronouns as a unit for study together. See the first few chapters of Samuel Green how he uses tis as a paradigmatic word.

I know that some words are declined the way they are due to their etymology. Someone with a more broad background could answer better, but I think that the different dialects influenced then different declensions in Koine. Notice how "borrowed" words don't play nice (aramaic origins).

Skip ahead to chapter 11 (I think; I don't have my book here) and look at the classification of adjectives 2-2; 2-1-2; 3-3; 3-1-3. I Think you'll find it helpful to be aware of it while you trudge through 10.

Have fun!

Jimmym
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Jimmym »

Geoff wrote

See the first few chapters of Samuel Green how he uses tis as a paradigmatic word.

question to Geoff from me, Jimmy
Geoff is this the book from the site titled brief intro to NT Greek by Samuel Green? If so what page to I look at?
Jimmy

Geoff
Textkit Fan

Post by Geoff »

Jimmy

That's the right book. It makes a nice supplement to Mounce.

Look at page 16 #'s 12-13; also look at his chapters on 3rd dec. They're helpful for seeing a wide range of 3rd dec. words.