I used to think ignorance was bliss ...

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Big John
Textkit Neophyte

I used to think ignorance was bliss ...

Post by Big John »

... but now I am not so sure :cry:. I do not have my own computer
so I am wondering if I can download the Greek font we are supposed to use at places like a library or at work and then simply delete it when I am finished. When and if I download the font or whatever the proper term is, will it look like Greek or will it look like the notation one sees in this forum?
Thank you for considering my rookie question.
Big John

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

You can delete fonts. For a PC, fonts are usually kept in the folder C:\WINDOWS\fonts, and from there you just locate the font by name (spionic) and delete it if you wish. This is also the folder to which you should save fonts that you wish to use. After downloading the font, you will see actual Greek letters when people utilize the proper font tags in the forum:
τεχτ.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

since it's just a font, I wouldn't even worry about deleting it when you're finished. they hardly take up any space and chances are no one will even notice it's there.

i recommend sticking the font file on a disk so you can take it to any computer you like, without having to download it all the time.
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

It seems like a lot of trouble to download and delete a font everytime you want to use it.
Why don't you ask the librarian or someone at work for permission to install the font on that computer and leave it there.

Titus Marius Crispus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Titus Marius Crispus »

Not sure if this is what is causing the confusion, but installing the Greek font will NOT make everything on the computer appear in Greek. You probably knew that, but I couldn't really think of any other reason you'd want to delte the font. (unless the librarians are really strict).

Big John
Textkit Neophyte

Thanks to all ...

Post by Big John »

Thanks for all the extremely helpful information you folks rendered and so quickly at that. Man, I really love this place.
Thanks and Aloha!
Big John

blue
Textkit Neophyte

Post by blue »

just so you know...you might want to download it onto a floppy disk...library computers are usually set up to automatically refuse to open or install quiet a few files/programs/etc and delete the ones they do download (or files you save) after use.

Big John
Textkit Neophyte

Thanx a lot Blue

Post by Big John »

When I get my grubby little fingers on a disk, I will definitely follow your and klewlis' advice. I am lucky that the computers here at Bunker Hill Community College seem to be amendable to the downloading of a font. In any event the main computer person did not have a clue about what I was talking about when I said that I wanted to write stuff in ancient Greek on the Internet; but he likes me enough to have given me his blessing to do what I will, font-wise at least :wink:
Take care,
Big John

blue wrote:just so you know...you might want to download it onto a floppy disk...library computers are usually set up to automatically refuse to open or install quiet a few files/programs/etc and delete the ones they do download (or files you save) after use.