H & Q Unit 9 English to Greek

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

H & Q Unit 9 English to Greek

Post by bingley »

Could someone check these English to Greek sentences, please.
The topics for this unit are:
a. alpha and epsilon contracted verbs
b. demonstratives
c. subjective and objective genitive
d. dative of manner and respect

1. Friend, may you not, honoured by those unjust young men, do bad things to these short old men.

εἰ γάρ, ὦ φίλε, ὑπὸ ἐκείνων τῶν νεανιῶν τῶν ἀδίκων τιμώμενος κακὰ τούσδε τοὺς μικροὺς γέροντας μὴ ποιήσαις.

2. It is unreasonable, you know, to do shameful things; whoever without justice wrongs others, that one will justly be harmed by the gods. (Express the relative clause in two different ways)

ἄλογόν τοι τὸν αἰσχρὰ ποιεῖν· ὁ ἄνευ τῆς δίκης τοὺς ἀ/λλους ἀδίκων, ὅς ἄνευ τῆς δίκης τοὺς ἀ/λλους ἄν ἀδικήσῃ, ἐκεῖνος ὑπὸ τῶν θεῶν σὺν δίκῃ βλαφθήσεται.

3. Are we neither to honour nor do good to these women who have guarded these houses in silence? (Translate the relative clause using two different Greek constructions)

οὔτε τιμῶμεν οὐτε εὖ ποιήσωμεν τάσδε αἵ ἐκείνους τοὺς οἷκους σιγῇ πεφυλάχασιν; τάσδε τὰς ἐκείνους τοὺς οἷκους σιγῇ πεφυλαχυίας;

4. Before those contests the Greeks used to sacrifice both goats and other animals to these goddesses in order that they might not be conquered.

πρὸ ἐκείνων τῶν ἀγῶνων οἱ (/ελληνες καὶ αἶγας καῖ ἄλλα ζῷα ταῖς θεοῖς ἔθυον ἵνα μὴ νικηθεῖεν.

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Skylax »

Hello, Bingley !
Here are a few remarks to your "virtuoso" work.

1. ὑπὸ ἐκείνων : don't hesitate to elide ὑπ’ ἐκείνων

2. τὸν : τὸ (neuter)
ἀδίκων should be ἀδικῶν (< ἀδικέων) but the meaning implies already a lack of justice. So I would translate "wrong" by βιάζομαι (>βιαζόμενος and ἂν βιάζηται or βιάσηται) and "without justice" by the adverb ἀδίκως
"will be harmed" : βλαβήσεται (I have seen no mention of a future passive with a theta in LSJ)

3. The question should maybe begin with the interrogative particle ἆρα, so )=αρ’ οὔτε...

Now I am not sure that I understand the English properly : you translate as if it were a deliberation, the question being "should we honour or not, do good or not". This is the meaning of a deliberative subjunctive. For my part, I understand that easier as a future : )=αρ’ οὔτε τιμήσομεν οὔτ’ εὖ ποιήσομεν...

ἐκείνους : don't forget τούτους, οὗτος being widely used.

4. It is ἀγώνων, acute accent, also on καὶ (typo)
"these goddesses" add for example ταύταις before ταῖς

χαῖρε

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

As usual, many thanks, Skylax.
Now I am not sure that I understand the English properly : you translate as if it were a deliberation, the question being "should we honour or not, do good or not". This is the meaning of a deliberative subjunctive.
Yes, am/is/are/was/were + to infinitive in English often implies some sort of obligation. It can imply future, but usually in some sort of official programme, e.g., the Prime Minister is to visit Brazil next week.