Textkit Logo

H & Q Unit 9 English to Greek

Here's where you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

H & Q Unit 9 English to Greek

Postby bingley » Fri Jul 16, 2004 8:07 am

Could someone check these English to Greek sentences, please.
The topics for this unit are:
a. alpha and epsilon contracted verbs
b. demonstratives
c. subjective and objective genitive
d. dative of manner and respect

1. Friend, may you not, honoured by those unjust young men, do bad things to these short old men.

[face=SPIonic] ei) ga/r, w)= fi/le, u(po\ e)kei/nwn tw=n neaniw=n tw=n a)di/kwn timw/menoj kaka\ tou/sde tou\j mikrou\j ge/rontaj mh\ poih/saij. [/face]

2. It is unreasonable, you know, to do shameful things; whoever without justice wrongs others, that one will justly be harmed by the gods. (Express the relative clause in two different ways)

[face=SPIonic]a)/logo/n toi to\n ai)sxra\ poiei=n:

o( a)/neu th=j di/khj tou\j a0/llouj a)di/kwn,
o(/j a)/neu th=j di/khj tou\j a0/llouj a)/n a)dikh/sh|,

e)kei=noj u(po\ tw=n qew=n su\n di/kh| blafqh/setai. [/face]

3. Are we neither to honour nor do good to these women who have guarded these houses in silence? (Translate the relative clause using two different Greek constructions)

[face=SPIonic]ou)/te timw=men ou)te eu)= poih/swmen

ta/sde ai/( e)kei/nouj tou\j oi(=kouj sigh|= pefula/xasin;
ta/sde ta\j e)kei/nouj tou\j oi(=kouj sigh|= pefulaxui/aj;[/face]

4. Before those contests the Greeks used to sacrifice both goats and other animals to these goddesses in order that they might not be conquered.

[face=SPIonic]pro\ e)kei/nwn tw=n a)gw=nwn oi( (/Ellhnej kai\ ai)=gaj kai= a)/lla zw|=a tai=j qeoi=j e)/quon i(/na mh\ nikhqei=en. [/face]
bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby Skylax » Fri Jul 16, 2004 7:57 pm

Hello, Bingley !
Here are a few remarks to your "virtuoso" work.

1. [face=SPIonic]u(po\ e)kei/nwn[/face] : don't hesitate to elide [face=SPIonic]u(p' e)kei/nwn[/face]

2. [face=SPIonic]to\n[/face] : [face=SPIonic]to\[/face] (neuter)
[face=SPIonic]a)di/kwn[/face] should be [face=SPIonic]a)dikw=n[/face] (< [face=SPIonic]a)dike/wn[/face]) but the meaning implies already a lack of justice. So I would translate "wrong" by [face=SPIonic]bia/zomai[/face] (>[face=SPIonic]biazo/menoj[/face] and [face=SPIonic]a)\n bia/zhtai[/face] or [face=SPIonic]bia/shtai[/face]) and "without justice" by the adverb [face=SPIonic]a)di/kwj[/face]
"will be harmed" : [face=SPIonic]blabh/setai[/face] (I have seen no mention of a future passive with a theta in LSJ)

3. The question should maybe begin with the interrogative particle [face=SPIonic]a)=ra[/face], so [face=SPIonic])=Ar' ou)/te...[/face]

Now I am not sure that I understand the English properly : you translate as if it were a deliberation, the question being "should we honour or not, do good or not". This is the meaning of a deliberative subjunctive. For my part, I understand that easier as a future : [face=SPIonic])=Ar' ou)/te timh/somen ou)/t' eu)= poih/somen...[/face]

[face=SPIonic]e)kei/nouj[/face] : don't forget [face=SPIonic]tou/touj, ou(=toj[/face] being widely used.

4. It is [face=SPIonic]a)gw/nwn[/face], acute accent, also on [face=SPIonic]kai\[/face] (typo)
"these goddesses" add for example [face=SPIonic]tau/taij[/face] before [face=SPIonic]tai=j[/face]

[face=SPIonic]Xai=re[/face]
Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby bingley » Tue Jul 20, 2004 7:32 am

As usual, many thanks, Skylax.

Now I am not sure that I understand the English properly : you translate as if it were a deliberation, the question being "should we honour or not, do good or not". This is the meaning of a deliberative subjunctive.

Yes, am/is/are/was/were + to infinitive in English often implies some sort of obligation. It can imply future, but usually in some sort of official programme, e.g., the Prime Minister is to visit Brazil next week.
bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Return to Learning Greek