Question in Italian Athenaze

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Beoron
Textkit Neophyte

Question in Italian Athenaze

Post by Beoron »

So I have been using the Italian Athenaze and the abundance of readings vs the English is really nice. With a copy of the English Athenaze, some Koine background, and the Protagoras app I have figured things out pretty well so far. However I need a little help on page 150, there it says: ουκ αφικνουνται εις την εαυτων πατριδα επει ο του Κυκλωποσ πατηρ εχθρος αυτοις γιγνεται, και ουκ εα αυτους οικαδε επανιεναι κατα θαλατταν.

So my questions are, what is the lexical form of επανιεναι, I know it means something about return, but I am drawing a blank and want to read the lexical entry anyway. Second, εα has an iota subscript and a... like < but with the narrow end pointing up over the alpha. I am not sure what it means or what word it is from. I am assuming something like not allow? This is in the aftermath of the Cyclops being blinded. Any help is much appreciated!

Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

Re: Question in Italian Athenaze

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

ἐπανειμι, (εἶμι ibo) used as fut. of ἐπανέρχομαι, go back, return, Th.6.102, etc.; αὐλὸς .. ἐπάνεισιν the music of the flute will rise again, S.Tr.642 (lyr.); in writing or speaking, go back or return to a point, ἐπὶ τὸν πρότερον λόγον Hdt.7.138; ἐγὼ δʼ ἔνθεν ἐξέβην ἐπάνειμι X.HG7.4.1; μικρὸν ἐ. Id.Cyr.1.2.15; ἐ. δὴ πάλιν ἐπὶ τὰς ἀποδείξεις D.18.42, cf. 21.196; περὶ φύσεως πάσης ἐπανιόντα τῆς τῶν σώματων recurring to first principles of physiology, Pl.Lg.857d.

Liddell, H. G., Scott, R., Jones, H. S., & McKenzie, R. (1996). A Greek-English lexicon (p. 608). Oxford: Clarendon Press.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter

Cuncta mortalia incerta...

Hylander
Textkit Zealot

Post by Hylander »

εα has an iota subscript and a... like < but with the narrow end pointing up over the alpha.
Sounds like a circumflex accent, or else, if the text is not otherwise accented, an indication that the form is contracted, from εα+ει.

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/tex ... %3De)a%2Fw

ἐπ+αν+ιέναι is a compound verb, formed from the verb εἶμι, whose present infinitive form is ἰέναι. The present indicative forms of εἶμι are used as the future indicative of the verb ἔρχομαι, "go", but in moods other than indicative, the forms of εἶμι, including the infinitive ἰέναι, serve as the present tense of this verb. So in the case of the compound verb ἐπ+αν+έρχομαι, "return", ἐπ+αν+ιέναι serves as the present infinitive.

I hope, without much confidence, that this makes it clear.
Bill Walderman

RandyGibbons
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by RandyGibbons »

I am assuming something like not allow?

Correct. The verb form in Athenaze is ἐᾷ, which, as Hylander says, is the contracted third-person singular form of ἐάω.

Beoron
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Beoron »

Ah, great! Thanks for all of the info everyone!