uden allo... e

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Eureka
Textkit Zealot

uden allo... e

Post by Eureka »

On pages 18 and 19 of Thrasymachus there are a couple of sentences with οὐδὲν ἄλλο followed by η2 later in the sentence.

I think οὐδὲν ἄλλο means "no-one else", but I can't see how η2 fits in. It seems to be a non-literal expression. :?

Here are the quotes: (Both from Aphrodite.)

ἁμαρτάνετε, ὦ φίλαι· οὐδὲν γὰρ ἄλλο ἢ φιλεῖ τὰς γυναῖκας, ὡ/σπερ οἱ ἄλλοι ἄνδρες. ἀλλ 0οὐδὲν ἄλλο λέγω ἢ περὶ τῶν ἀνθρώπων.

My translations:

"You are making a mistake, friends; because no-one else likes women, like the other men."

"But I talk to no-one about humanity."

I'm sure my translations are wrong, because the first one makes very little sense, and the second seems like a very random statement. (This is supposed to be at the judgment of Paris.)

Can someone please shed some light on this, because it's all Greek to me?

Paul
Textkit Zealot

Post by Paul »

Hi,

See Smyth 2777-2779, especially 2778 where οὐδεν ἄλλο ἤ is said to mean 'nothing else than'.

Cordially,

Paul

Eureka
Textkit Zealot

Post by Eureka »

Ahhh, thanks Paul.

I understand, now.

"He likes nothing else than women, like other men"

"But I'm talking about nothing but people."

Now she makes sense. :)

Eureka
Textkit Zealot

Post by Eureka »

As a side note, I just found the definition of as "than" in Thrasymachus. It's in the English to Greek vocab but not in the Greek to English. For a book first pubished four decades ago, it has a fair few errors. (It's an excellent book, though.)

BTW, does anyone else's copy of the book have a few wayward kappas? (i.e. [size=150]κἀγαθός[/size] instead of [size=150]ἀγαθός[/size]) :)

Koala
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Koala »

yes, my Thrasymachus has [size=150]κ’ἀγαθός[/size] too - but I've always taken it
as a contraction of [size=150]καὶ ἀγαθός[/size] -
? is this correct[face=Arial][/face]

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

Koala wrote:yes, my Thrasymachus has [size=150]κ’ἀγαθός[/size] too - but I've always taken it
Yeah, I think so. As far as I can recall.

Eureka
Textkit Zealot

Post by Eureka »

mingshey wrote:
Koala wrote:yes, my Thrasymachus has [size=150]κ’ἀγαθός[/size] too - but I've always taken it
Yeah, I think so. As far as I can recall.
Oh, I didn't think even a contracted word could have a breathing mark on a non-initial vowel. :?

(BTW, mine doesn't say [size=150]κ’ἀγαθός[/size], it says [size=150]κἀγαθός[/size].)

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

Oh, I didn't think even a contracted word could have a breathing mark on a non-initial vowel.
They do still retain their breathing marks, though, so you can tell if they are contracted or not.

They must have just forgotten the though :roll: .

Eureka
Textkit Zealot

Post by Eureka »

Emma_85 wrote:They do still retain their breathing marks, though, so you can tell if they are contracted or not.
Is this common, or does it just happen with ἀγαθός?
Emma_85 wrote:They must have just forgotten the though :roll: .
Since the book has been reprinted, you'd think they could've fixed it.

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

Emma_85 wrote:
Oh, I didn't think even a contracted word could have a breathing mark on a non-initial vowel.
They do still retain their breathing marks, though, so you can tell if they are contracted or not.
Technically that's not a breathing mark, but a sign of crasis. Of course, it looks like a breathing mark. But if you have crasis in καὶ ὁ you write χὠ, not χὡ.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

Technically that's not a breathing mark, but a sign of crasis. Of course, it looks like a breathing mark. But if you have crasis in kai\ o( you write xw), not xw(.
Ahh... thanks, I thought the contraction with an aspirated word itself was called krasis, hehehe seems a bit stupid now that I think about it :roll: .

Well you can have krasis with other words too, such as:
τἀ=λλα < τὰ ἄλλα
or (a more annoying contraction)
τοὐναντίον < τὸ ἐναντίον

All you need to remember is that if you find a word with a krasis you'll have to work out which word it originally came from.
τοὐναντίον
The krasis tells you it's a contraction, and ou is often a contraction product of e + o, o + e, o + ou, o + o; Hehehe, then all you have to do is see what makes sense and what doesn't.

nefercheprure
Textkit Neophyte

Post by nefercheprure »

Emma_85 wrote: Well you can have krasis with other words too, such as:
τἀ=λλα < τὰ ἄλλα
or (a more annoying contraction)
τοὐναντίον < τὸ ἐναντίον
τἀληθῆ λέγεις... = τὰ ἀληθῆ λέγεις...
... Thrasymachos XVI οἴκοι second paragraph

κἀγώ ... καὶ ἐγώ