Corneli Nepotis M. Cato

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Corneli Nepotis M. Cato

Post by bingley »

http://www.thelatinlibrary.com/nepos/nepos.cat.shtml<br /><br />I'm not sure how magni fits in with this sentence:<br /><br />Inde ut rediit, castra secutus est C. Claudii Neronis, magnique opera eius existimata est in proelio apud Senam, quo cecidit Hasdrubal, frater Hannibalis.<br /><br />Shouldn't it be magna to agree with opera? Or are we supposed to another opera to go with magni and translate as "... his deeds in the battle of Sena ... are considered to be(the deeds) of a great man"?<br /><br />Quaestor obtigit P. Africano consuli; cum quo non pro sortis necessitudine vixit: namque ab eo perpetua dissensit vita.<br /><br />As quaestor he fell to the consul P. Africanus, with whom he did not live in accordance with the requirement of the lots, for he disagreed with him throughout his life.<br /><br />That's the only way I can make sense of it, but the non is an awful long way from the vixit. Does it go with vixit or somehow with the phrase pro sortis necessitudine?<br /><br />Praetor provinciam obtinuit Sardiniam, ex qua, quaestor superiore tempore ex Africa decedens, Q. Ennium poetam deduxerat; quos non minoris aestimamus quam quemlibet amplissimum Sardiniensem triumphum. <br /><br />What is the antecedent of quos here?<br /><br />gratiam ago<br />

vinobrien
Textkit Member

Re:Corneli Nepotis M. Cato

Post by vinobrien »

I reckon<br /><br />magnique opera eius - the deeds of which great man<br /><br />Quaestor... - the questorship fell to...<br />non pro sortis necessitudine is as you translate it, the latin idiom is that he lived, but his living is described as not in accordance with the requirement of the lots.<br /><br />Quos has got me, unless it can refer to the praetor and Ennis.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

It could perhaps mean "whomever."
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

That doesn't really seem to make any more sense in the context though.

Ptolemaios
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Ptolemaios »

The answer is very simple: quos is a typo. >:( at the Latin Library.com! The Oxford Classical Text reads 'quod' (which does make sense); there isn't even an obscure manuscript reading 'quos'.<br /><br />Valete.<br /><br />Ptolemaios

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

::) I did find a typo on one of their other pages as well. I'm going to have to find another text of Nepos somewhere.

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Skylax »

bingley wrote:<br />http://www.thelatinlibrary.com/nepos/nepos.cat.shtml<br /><br />I'm not sure how magni fits in with this sentence:<br /><br />Inde ut rediit, castra secutus est C. Claudii Neronis, magnique opera eius existimata est in proelio apud Senam, quo cecidit Hasdrubal, frater Hannibalis.<br />
<br /><br />For the magni, see Bennett § 203, 3, page 137 : this Gen implies pretii, it indicates a price; the phrase is magni existimare "to esteem at a great price".<br />Your sentence is even quoted there, and translated : "his assistance was highly esteemed".<br /><br />
<br />That's the only way I can make sense of it, but the non is an awful long way from the vixit. Does it go with vixit or somehow with the phrase pro sortis necessitudine?<br />
<br />The non goes with pro sortis necessitudine : "he lived, yet not according to..."<br /><br />