A Greek Boy at Home

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Bert
Textkit Zealot

A Greek Boy at Home

Post by Bert »

Is anyone here familiar with a book called " A Greek Boy at Home" by WHD Rouse? Is it good? Is it expensive? What is its ISBN?

whiteoctave
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by whiteoctave »

the book is one of the better greek readers written by WHDR, a great Christ's man. it shows evidence of the author's obsession with the direct method, that is teaching a language with solely the use of that tongue. (indeed it was WHDR who created the use of the direct method with latin and greek, though not with great reception from other schoolmasters). it was pusblished in 1909 so, unsurprisingly, is not blessed with an isbn. it is not easy to find, but best of luck.

~D

chad
Textkit Zealot

Post by chad »

Rouse is brilliant. His "Demonstrations" of iambic verse, which sets out the basic patterns of iambic lines, and shows you how he composes iambic verse out of things like herodotus, in a word-by-word, line-by-line exposition, is excellent, one of my favourite classics books. I noticed Dave that you have a copy of this: do you like it as well? I'd love to see a copy of his associated book "Damon" but I haven't been able to find one (in Sydney anyway)

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

Thanks for the information.
I'll try to get a hold of it.

whiteoctave
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by whiteoctave »

chad, i do have rouse's demonstrations and wholeheartedly agree that it is a most magnificent work. without any doubt it is the finest exposition of the art of iambic composition.
i am with you, however, in avidly searching for damon and, quod maius est, demonstrations in latin elegiac verse, for which i would pay a great deal of money.

~d

Geoff
Textkit Fan

Post by Geoff »

Jeff, could we get "A Greek Boy at Home" here on Textkit? 1909 pubication!

p-p-p-p-p-p-p-p-lease ! - Anyone have a copy, time, resources?

Geoff
Textkit Fan

Post by Geoff »

White octave said
it is not easy to find
Make that next to impossible!

Colin
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Colin »

Ok there is a copy posted online. You have to access Anne Mahoney's homepage
http://www.stoa.org/~mahoney/
and then click on
GRK 1, Elementary Ancient Greek - Fall 2004 (I think it was this one but anyway it was one of the greek courses)
when the server isn't down as it is today(who knows when this will be) you can then download A Greek boy at Home

Geoff
Textkit Fan

Post by Geoff »

Thank you Colin! :)

In the Preface to this work, Rouse mentions his First Greek Course. Is anyone familiar with this?

homer
Textkit Neophyte

Re: A Greek Boy at Home

Post by homer »

You can find a new publication made in Spain on the following link:
http://www.culturaclasica.com/lingualat ... graeca.htm