οἵ or οἱ (from Chambers GWI)

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
daivid
Administrator

οἵ or οἱ (from Chambers GWI)

Post by daivid »

This is from Chambers: The Greek War of Independence
κατὰ δὲ τὴν ἀρχὴν τοῦ πολέμου τοῦδε νέμουσι τὴν χώραν οἵ τε Τοῦρκοι (κύριοι γάρ εἰσι τῆς γῆς) καὶ οἱ ἀπόγονοι τῶν παλαιῶν Πελοποννησίων καὶ ξύμμεικτος ὄχλος τῶν ἐποίκων ·

I would have expected the οἵ of οἵ τε Τοῦρκοι to be οἱ like that of the other two. Is there something I'm missing or could it be a printers error?

My translation is:
At the time of the beginning of this war, the Turks (lords of the land), the descendants of the ancient Peloponnesians and a mixed mass of the immigrants shared the region.
λονδον

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Re: οἵ or οἱ (from Chambers GWI)

Post by jeidsath »

οἱ τε takes an accent, according to the grammarians, and becomes οἵ τε.

Luke 15:2 -- καὶ διεγόγγυζον οἵ τε Φαρισαῖοι καὶ οἱ γραμματεῖς λέγοντες ὅτι Οὗτος ἁμαρτωλοὺς προσδέχεται καὶ συνεσθίει αὐτοῖς.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

daivid
Administrator

Post by daivid »

jeidsath wrote:οἱ τε takes an accent, according to the grammarians, and becomes οἵ τε.

Luke 15:2 -- καὶ διεγόγγυζον οἵ τε Φαρισαῖοι καὶ οἱ γραμματεῖς λέγοντες ὅτι Οὗτος ἁμαρτωλοὺς προσδέχεται καὶ συνεσθίει αὐτοῖς.
So even though it looks like a relative pronoun it is an ordinary determiner. Thanks - that was something that I had completely missed so I've learned something new.
λονδον

Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

jeidsath wrote:οἱ τε takes an accent, according to the grammarians, and becomes οἵ τε.

And the reason it does so is that τε is an enclitic, and so pronounced with the previous syllable of the word before it. That is represented by giving that syllable an accute accent where permitted, rules established by the scholastics in late antiquity/early medieval times.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter

Cuncta mortalia incerta...

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Post by mwh »

The written accentual system was established well before late antiquity. Accents were being written in manuscripts as early as the 2nd cent. BCE and no doubt earlier. Herodian in the 2nd cent. CE wrote extensively about enclitics (and a 20-book work on Greek prosody as a whole), and recorded the rules we follow today.

Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

mwh wrote:The written accentual system was established well before late antiquity. Accents were being written in manuscripts as early as the 2nd cent. BCE and no doubt earlier. Herodian in the 2nd cent. CE wrote extensively about enclitics (and a 20-book work on Greek prosody as a whole), and recorded the rules we follow today.
Yes, I was rather seriously misremembering the time frame! :shock:
N.E. Barry Hofstetter

Cuncta mortalia incerta...