Textkit Logo

Why the present?

Here's where you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Why the present?

Postby bingley » Thu Jul 24, 2003 7:09 am

From Lysias' On the Murder of Eratosthenes 8:<br /><br />[face=SPIonic] e)p' e)kfora\n ga\r au)th=| a)kolouqh/sasa h( e)mh\ gunh\ u(po\ tou/tou tou= a)nqrw/pou o)fqei=sa, xro/nw| diafqei/retai[/face]<br /><br />I think [face=SPIonic]diafqei/retai[/face] is 3rd person present indicative passive = she is ruined. But why?<br /><br />To see more of the context: http://makeashorterlink.com/?T28836F55
bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Re:Why the present?

Postby Ptolemaios » Thu Jul 24, 2003 7:54 pm

I think this is a case of historic present, highlighting a very important element in the story, without which the story wouldn't have been as it is.<br />In this case, it is the action which started the whole mess that followed.<br /><br />BTW, I'm afraid your link didn't function properly. I've had some difficulties accessing Perseus. Only the mirror site in Berlin seems to be working.<br /><br /> Eu)/xomai se e)rrw=sqai <br /><br />Ptolemaios
phpbb
Ptolemaios
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Emma_85 » Thu Jul 24, 2003 8:11 pm

hey! some one else doing Lysias! we translated the murder of eratosthenes last year and one speech about a crippled begger, who didn't want to be taken off state benefits.
phpbb
Emma_85
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby bingley » Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:27 am

The link seems to be working now, but Perseus does go off at odd times. <br /><br />I bought The Murder of Eratosthenes because it was the first in a series of readers. Even so, I've forgotten so much it's a bit of a struggle. <br /><br />I've ordered the Greek version of Moreland and Fleischer's Latin: An Intensive Course, to help with my revision.
bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Return to Learning Greek