Mark 5:10

Are you learning Koine Greek, the Greek of the New Testament and most other post-classical Greek texts? Whatever your level, use this forum to discuss all things Koine, Biblical or otherwise, including grammar, textbook talk, difficult passages, and more.
Geoff
Textkit Fan

Mark 5:10

Post by Geoff »

Is this just a case of the Nueter being fluid in Number or is the man (singular) posessed making a request for "them" demons (plural) ?

I think this is just demonstrating that number can be fluid in the Neuter like in I John 4:1

Any insight?

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

Hmm... in 5:9 there's legei too, which is singular. Maybe the sigular is used here because although there are many demons, they are using this one man to speak through. So they are using the man like a puppet to talk for them. Hope that makes sense.

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

As Emma mentioned, in 5:9 the singular and plural are both used: legion is MY name, for WE are many. It seems to be the case that there is a multitude speaking as one, so we have a mixture in the numbers. The speaker is singular (whether the speaker is taken to be the man or a spirit) and the spirits are plural.
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

hactx
Textkit Neophyte

Singularity of Evil and the Manifoldness of God

Post by hactx »

This may be a tangent. This topic makes me think of the fact that the ultimate source of evil in the world is Satan, though many partake of his schemes.
And though God is one. The language often refers to God using the plural. As a result some interpret that to be referring to the manifold glory of God. And Christians know God as Father, Son, and Holy spirit. Anyway the dichotomy was interesting.