marking up textkit .pdfs

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
chad
Textkit Zealot

marking up textkit .pdfs

Post by chad »

i was wondering if anyone here actually edits the .pdfs they download from textkit, putting in extra marginalia. i just started marking up sidgwick's "easy selections from plato", scanning the text using the pencil tool and putting in post-it notes on the top of the page with extra notes about specific words, to make it even more beginner-friendly.

if other people do this too with other textkit books, and it's not a breach of some copyright law, do you think it'd be useful in the future to upload some of these onto textkit in a new folder?

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

Well, I don't have an pdf editor like Acrobat. Just Acrobat Reader. The only way I got to leave my footsteps on the pdf is to make a hardcopy and write with pencil on it. :)

Paul
Textkit Zealot

Post by Paul »

Hi,

Please forgive me for this bit of self-promotion, but if it's text markup you want, then please consider my 'Ancient Greek Text Manager' software. Several textkit members are now beta-testing 'AGTM'; it will soon be out of beta and ready for general use.

In fact, Jeff has already suggested to me equipping AGTM with some kind of collaborative facility which would allow people to share their markup efforts.

On the down side, I don't yet have many texts available. Moreover, my texts are never 'textbooks' (e.g., sidgwick). They are always primary greek sources.

Cordially,

Paul

chad
Textkit Zealot

Post by chad »

hi mingshey and paul, i can actually edit the textkit .pdfs directly, just by opening them in acrobat reader. when you open it you get the acrobat toolbar, and there's a pencil icon and a post-it note icon among others. you can just make the changes using the acrobat reader and then save it. could you guys please check whether you can do that as well? i've also got acrobat writer on this pc... i don't know if that's why i can edit the .pdfs in the reader...

paul, i'd like to try your software, everyone here is saying it's really useful, but i can't download any executables/install anything here at work (and i don't have the net at home). i can't even install spionic; i'm relegated to DOS-style betacode. sorry :(

i was actually thinking last night of starting to mark up textkit's aeschylus, prometheus bound. in particular the scansion: i've never seen any fully-scanned copies of tragedy or comedy. commentaries give scansion schemes in the back for the choral bits: that's the easy bit to scan, you can do it by sight because it's quite regular, like scanning homer. the more complicated bit is the bulk of a play in iambic tri, because for doubtful vowels (alpha, iota or upsilon in anceps, i.e. the first syllable of a metron which can be long or short) you have to look up the word in other verses, and check the syllable's proper scansion in non-anceps positions. i've been doing this for a while now, so if anyone would find it useful i could scan the whole thing and add further commentary to each page and then upload it somewhere, maybe on textkit.

if textkit's online .pdfs can be edited easily through acrobat reader, then we could get a really interesting collection of .pdfs edited by people here. e.g. getting will's and other's marginalia on odyssey 12 would be invaluable to others here (when we start to read it)... it's something to think about anyway :)