Memory Tools, Vocabulary Building

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Erasmus
Textkit Neophyte

Memory Tools, Vocabulary Building

Post by Erasmus »

Greetings All,
I have been lurking (and enjoying! :D ) all the conversations. Thanks for the great site !
I am a palm user and depend on it like a third arm (I manage a large IT infrastructure for the University of Virgina Libraries). I needed also to work on my vocabulary in greek (my hobby and passion). I found a vendor SouthPaw on the web that makes a nice tool (MiniFlash) http://www.telusplanet.net/public/spaw/ for creating vocabulary databases . There are several databases (Mounce, Latin, others) avaliable, but none are Attic or Homeric. The tool has a Windows front end that will allow conversion of comma delimited files and create the appropriate palm pdb file. You can have multiple databases! The scholar full version ($18.95) includes fully acceented greek and Hebrew fonts (diacriticals). The greek for the most part follows Mounce's greek font (teknia).and key mappings.

I have not purchased the package yet (but am seriously considering it!), and would be curious to find if anyone would be interested in vocabulary data sets for Pharr, and Mastronarde, possibly others. I should be able to create a tool to automate the creation of the vocabulary sets. In theory, one could actually automate a tool to extract from Perseus and create the proper csv file to create the database for the palm (but that is a bit more than I want to chew right now).

Anyway, just curious to see if anyone else has experience with this software tool for a palm.

I am waiting for my own copy of Pharr...from Amazon (ordered thru textkit of course!) Someone has recalled the copy I have from the library...

Greetings to all
rgds
-Guy

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

Hi Guy,

thanks for your support, and the great lead on what looks to be very cool software. I'm going to contact them. Also, if you're with the University of Virginia, might I ask (or beg) for any nice library links back to Textkit should you know the right people to contact. I have been unsuccessful in getting a link here: http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/gr-off.html for example.

I too am a Palm freak, it's not a P.D.A. to me but an R.E.D. (Relationship Enhancement Device) because I'm far less forgetful which keeps my wife happy.

Let me suggest too that if the table structure is simple, it would be a snap to export our own vocabulary list into a file that could be imported into the software. We don't currently have Greek vocab, but it'll come shortly.

thanks,
jeff
Textkit Founder

Paul
Textkit Zealot

Re: Memory Tools, Vocabulary Building

Post by Paul »

Erasmus wrote: I should be able to create a tool to automate the creation of the vocabulary sets. In theory, one could actually automate a tool to extract from Perseus and create the proper csv file to create the database for the palm (but that is a bit more than I want to chew right now).
Hi Guy,

My AGTM software (aren't you a beta-tester?) can already do the extraction from a 'public resolver', e.g. Perseus.

If you know the format of the .csv file, please post it. I will gladly add support for exporting to this format.

Thanks.

Cordially,

Paul

Erasmus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Erasmus »

Jeff,
The server that etext.lib.virginia.edu is one of my (many servers). I "know" the right people and we can get you linked in...no problem. Also can get you any books (interlibrary loan works well here!) that we may have...
I just got a copy of Seymour's "Homeric Language and Verse" as well as a copy of D.B Monro's Homeric grammar to check out.....

I look forward to helping out where I might.... :-)

Paul,
I will put together the format...it is indeed really simple (I think 4 or 5 fields).
It is documented in the documentation provided with the tool... I have not had time (of late) to spend with your fine tool to experiment. I did get it installed though. Too many systems problems and employee issues.... ;-/

rgds
-Guy

Paul
Textkit Zealot

Post by Paul »

erasmus wrote:I will put together the format...it is indeed really simple (I think 4 or 5 fields).
Thanks very much Guy. I will try to make short work of it. AGTM is about ready to be unleashed on the millions of greek scholars out there who are just clamoring for groovy software.....wait, that's not right; I must be hallucinating.

Cordially,

Paul