I came, I saw, I conquered!

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Mark
Textkit Neophyte

I came, I saw, I conquered!

Post by Mark »

Out of curiosity, how do you translate I came, I saw, I conquered (Veni, vidi, vici.) into Greek?

chad
Textkit Zealot

Post by chad »

you'd probably put it into the aorist in greek (rather than latin's perfect) i think: it's more appropriate here.

h)=lqon, ei)=don, e)ni/khsa

or in spionic:

[size=150]ἦλθον, εἶδον, ἐνίκησα[/size]

to make it even more greek you'd put the first 2 verbs in aorist nom. participles instead of in the finite. i.e. "having ..., having ..., i ..." :)

Mark
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Mark »

Thanks, that's what I was thinking of, I just wasn't sure what to use for the last word (I conquered).

whiteoctave
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by whiteoctave »

re: chad -

the latin perfect did, of course, cover both the greek perfect and the aorist, so "perfect" forms (named before any distinction was drawn between tense and aspect) in latin do not necessarily demand Perfect tenses in greek.
undoubtedly, however, caesar's address to the senate with regard to his swift victory over pharnace, where these words were reputedly uttered, would have demanded a strictly past sense, as opposed to any sort of retrospective aspect that the perfect would bring.

~D