Classical Enthusiasts

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Tom ab Tucsonae
Textkit Neophyte

Classical Enthusiasts

Post by Tom ab Tucsonae »

Does everybody wish we had more than 30 members to exchange ideas, topics and translations? Also can anyone tell me how to type umlautes on a laptop? Feel free to reply or E-mail me. . .Thanks :D

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Re:Classical Enthusiasts

Post by Jeff Tirey »

Hi there - count me in for wanting more participation. But I installed the forum so I guess that's a given.<br /><br />Forums take a lot of time to get off the ground. This forum has been crawling along.... :'( - but I'm patient.<br /><br />thanks for your interest..<br />jeff
Textkit Founder

Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carola »

You've just convinced me - I have been checking out this site very regularly but never got further than downloading the excellent grammars etc. Now I'm signed in!

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

wow - thanks! <br /><br />ask and you shall recieve - how true it is. <br /><br />Maybe we can this thing going...<br /><br />thanks,<br />jeff
Textkit Founder

gadrtx
Textkit Neophyte

Post by gadrtx »

I've just done my first year's exam in Latin for the Open University. I come home to find this site. Great. The question I have is: Is "Reading Latin" the best way to start. We had a lot of modified Plautus. Is a dialogue the best way to start - or should we concentrate on prose? If not RL what do you think is the best?<br />Graham

gadrtx
Textkit Neophyte

Post by gadrtx »

Umlauts - depends on what word processor you are using. I use MS Word - insert - symbol - find the glyph.<br />Hope this helps<br />Graham

klwps
Textkit Neophyte

Post by klwps »

In regards to inputting umlauts (on windows) it depends on the application you are using. However, I have seen (but not used) windows freeware and shareware that run as additional software which one may concurrently run in order to input non-ascii characters. Unfortunately, most support for windows and mac require additional financial overhead (i.e., money) for more features. <br /><br />Moreover, whenever using MS Word, instead of always selecting the appropriate glyph (in this case an umlaut), one may just make a macro of this, and then associate it with a Key Binding (or in windows-speak Shortcut key?). <br /><br />By the way, if you use unix based systems, then emacs does the job for free and one can download the Cgreek package and GNU international fonts package, and configure the OS and emacs accordingly.

Erica
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Erica »

Greetings! I am so happy I found this site! Years ago in school I studied Latin, but in college focused on modern languages...now I'm trying to refresh my memory and build proficiency in Latin, and try Greek from scratch. The materials and forum on this site are wonderful, and I'm thankful to have found you all!<br />Erica :)

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

hi Erica,<br /><br />Glad to hear that. If you wish to begin Greek - look for White's First Greek Book, which we will have posted within a week or two. It is a very good beginner's greek book.<br /><br />jeff
Textkit Founder

Erica
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Erica »

Thanks Jeff...I am glad you mentioned the right book to begin with, as there are so many out there and I want to avoid as much frustration as possible. A friend of mine here studied classics and is going to help me with pronunciation issues, but I was not sure where to begin. <br /><br />For Latin, I'm just using Wheelock to review (it is the book I used in highschool, in addition to Jenny's 1st/2nd Year Latin). After I navigate through the 40 chapters, does any one out there have any suggestions as to what I should take a crack at?<br /><br />By the way, are you familiar with Carl P. Ruck's books on Intensive Latin and the Greek counterpart, something like "A New Approach to Classical Greek" (sorry I'm not sure about the title...)? Just curious. Thanks!

vinobrien
Textkit Member

Post by vinobrien »

There's always Wheelock's Reader which now has a really good edition with the notes facing the text.

Erica
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Erica »

Great! Thanks for the suggestion re: Wheelock Reader; I didn't notice it in stock at the bookstore, but will order it.

klwps
Textkit Neophyte

Post by klwps »

Welcome Erica !<br /><br />For doing that Greek thing from scratch , I recommend Anne Groton's "From Alpha to Omega 2nd ed.," which I used a couple years back. You could equally try Mastronarde's "Introduction to Attic Greek," but its a bit llike an abridgement of Smyth's Grammar with exercises. You can go to www.Amazon.com and probably buy a cheap used edition in good condition. <br /><br />By the way, when you start reading greek, it will be easier than Latin, which is the tradeoff for the amount of grammar and vocabulary you have to know. In other words, learning the grammar and initial vocabulary of Latin is usually much easier than Greek but then becomes challenging when you start to read, due to ambiguity [such as the lack of definite articles and other signs] in the Latin language. <br /><br />As far as reading Latin, the Wheellock reader is a good start, but you can also try your hand at Caeser's De Bello Ciuili [On Civil War] . You would definitely want a commentary, and there happens to be a free version and the text at www.Perseus.org. <br /><br />And when you really get going in reading Latin, I definitely recommned Cicero's De Republica edited by James E.G. Zeitzel. You 'll clearly be able to see how our founding fathers were influenced in forming our Republic.

klwps
Textkit Neophyte

Post by klwps »

To my last posting above, <br /><br />CORRECTION: Cicero's De Republica , edited by James E.G. Zetzel [ not Zeitzel ].

Erica
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Erica »

Thank you for the suggestions and encouragement! I will of course let the forum know how things progress, and undoubtedly ask questions.<br /> :D

Elucubrator
Global Moderator

Post by Elucubrator »

Tom, do I wish we had more than 30!!!? We have about 125 now, I don't know how many there were when you posted this message, but in spite of the numbers since I have signed up I have often felt like I have been talking to myself. ::)<br /><br />Is anybody else breathing in here? Come on you Lazari, up, rise and come forth!!! Well, it worked for Christ. :) <br /><br />I can't believe the number of people who have stopped by the polls asking about favourite authors and didn't bother to cast a vote. It hurts my feelings. :'( And that out of 125 only 6 had an opinion about Achilles on Raya's Poll!!! <br /><br />What to do? What to do?<br /><br />by the way, <br />I added you on ICQ ;)<br /><br />talk to you soon,<br /><br />Seba

duglasius
Textkit Neophyte

Post by duglasius »

As far as continuation of independent Latin studies after completing an introductory textbook, I would consider reading some poetry. I just think that, without a teacher to add extra insight to things, perhaps it might be a little more interesting than historical or philosophical prose. If you are going to read prose, at least read something that was meant to be heard, like Cicero's orations. Then again, I don't know your preferences.<br /><br />Also - I'm a new member, and I think this is a magnificent and laudable endeavor. Very well done. I wish it success, and hope that I can contribute to it.

Hamilton
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Hamilton »

I promise to yap/post enough to leave no one fear that they are talking to themselves.

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

I post! It's just that sometimes I can't think of anything intelligent to say, and I don't like posting just to hear myself talk. <br /><br />Also, I was sick a few days ago, for about a week, and I didn't get any language work done, so naturally I had no questions to ask. I'm getting back into it now...I think the forums will wake up soon. ;D<br /><br />Keesa

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

ha, you dragged up a really old thread from when the forums were really boring. Then I showed up... ;D
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Alundis
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Alundis »

I appear to hold a somewhat different opinion on this matter. Here is some reading material that I have found helpful, Erica.<br /><br />The two stories at the end of D'Ooge<br />The last two chapters of Wheelock's reader. The rest proved too frustrating for me. The second-to-last chapter contain portions from the Vulgate, the bible in Latin.<br />http://mythfolklore.net/ Aesop's Fables, an entire Medieval Latin course, 1000 Latin proverbs, and more by Laura Gibbs<br />Tolle, lege!<br /><br />And for some indoctrination :p<br />The greatest single defect of my own Latin education<br /> by Dorothy Sayers<br />The Art of Reading Latin: How to Teach It by William Hale<br />Latin by the Dowling Method<br />

Alundis
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Alundis »

Hmm, I thought this thread looked familiar :p

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Haha, where did Erica go anyways? I liked her :-\
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae