the greek anthology

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
shamlin
Textkit Neophyte

the greek anthology

Post by shamlin »

I am trying to find out about a quote that hangs on the wall in my summer cottage. It reads "A shipwrecked sailor buried on this coast sets sail. Full many a gallant bark when we were lost weathered the gale." I have determined that it is an epigram from the Greek Anthology. Does anyone know anything about this quote? Who is attributed to? Which epigram is it. Thanks

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Re:the greek anthology

Post by Skylax »

It is perhaps an epigram by Leonidas of Tarentum, Greek Anthology VII, 264 or 266 but the text is unavailable on-line.<br /><br />On the same subject :<br /><br />Leonidas of Alexandria, GA VII, 675<br /><br /> a)/tromoj e)k tu/mbou lu/e pei/smata nauhgoi=o·<br />xh)mw=n o)llume/nwn a)/lloj e)nhopo/rei<br /><br />"Without fear remove the ropes (= cast off the moorings) from the tomb of the shipwrecked sailor : even when we were on the road to ruin, another one kept on sailing."<br /><br />Also Theodorides, GA VII, 282<br /><br />nauhgou= ta/foj ei)mi/· su\ de\ ple/e· kai\ ga\r o(/q' h(mei=j<br />w)llu/meq' ai( loipai\ nh=ej e)pontopo/roun<br /><br />"I am the tomb of a shipwrecked sailor, but you, sail on : for when we were going down, the other ships were reaching the harbour."<br /><br />Please put my "English" translations right ! <br /> :-\

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

Skylax wrote:<br />It is perhaps an epigram by Leonidas of Tarentum, Greek Anthology VII, 264 or 266 but the text is unavailable on-line.<br />
<br /><br />[size=150]θαυμάζω· ταχὺ δὴ ταῦθ’ εὕρηκας! <br /><br />
<br />On the same subject :<br /><br />Leonidas of Alexandria, GA VII, 675<br /><br /> a)/tromoj e)k tu/mbou lu/e pei/smata nauhgoi=o·<br />xh(mw=n o)llume/nwn a)/lloj e)nhopo/rei<br /><br />"Without fear remove the ropes (= cast off the moorings) from the tomb of the shipwrecked sailor : even when we were on the road to ruin, another one kept on sailing."<br />
<br /><br />This translation is a little florid. "Fearless from tomb loose ropes of-a-sailor: // (while) even us being-destroyed, another was/kept-on sailing." Sense requires "of-a-sailor" modify "tomb" not "ropes." The first clause of the second line is of course genitive absolute.<br /><br />
<br />Also Theodorides, GA VII, 282<br /><br />nauhgou= ta/foj ei)mi/· su\ de\ ple/e· kai\ ga\r o(/q' h(mei=j<br />w)llu/meq' ai( loipai\ nh=ej e)pontopo/roun<br /><br />"I am the tomb of a shipwrecked sailor, but you, sail on : for when we were going down, the other ships were reaching the harbour."<br />
<br /><br />"Of-a-sailor tomb I am; but you sail; for even when we \\ were-being-destroyed, the remaining ships were-sailing."<br /><br />There's nothing about harbors in the second one at all.<br /><br />It's interesting to note that [size=150]ὄλλυμι is the verb for being destroyed/dying at sea.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Skylax »

William Annis wrote:<br /><br />[size=150]θαυμάζω· ταχὺ δὴ ταῦθ’ εὕρηκας! <br /><br />
<br /> <br />oude\n me\n qaumasto/n, w)= fi/ltate. e(ni\ ga\r tou/twn tw=n e)pigramm/atwn pa/lai h)/dh e)xrhsa/mhn a)skh/sewj e(/nek' e)n didaskalei/w| I've found the epigram by Leonidas of Alexandria in an edition which refers to the two others epigrams by Leonidas of Tarentum. I hope I'll see the text in the next few days.<br /><br />
<br />There's nothing about harbors in the second one at all.<br />
<br /><br />I've overstressed the idea of safety implied by pontopore/w "to pass over the sea" , because the meaning of the poem is : "I died but the other didn't" i.e. they were brought to safety... (they passed over the sea... and reached a harbour).<br /><br />XAIPE

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Skylax »

[quote author=Skylax link=board=2;threadid=264;start=0#1518 date=1058469060]<br />It is perhaps an epigram by Leonidas of Tarentum, Greek Anthology VII, 264 or 266 but the text is unavailable on-line.<br />[/quote]<br /><br />No, it is not... I saw the epigrams I mentioned. No relationship with the inscription on the wall. I've also tried to read all the epigrams about shipwrecked persons in the Greek Anthology. I read 71 epigrams, without result. Maybe I missed the right one...<br /><br />The quote on the wall is maybe only inspired by the two epigrams I've quoted above.<br /><br />By the way, I don't understand the meaning of "a shipwrecked sailor buried on this coast sets sail". Is it metaphoric? I am unable to visualize what is happening.<br /><br />Let's find a consolation from Greek Anthology, VII, 350 :<br /><br /> Nauti/le, mh\ peu/qou ti/noj e)nqa/de tu/mboj o(/d' ei)mi/,<br />a)ll' au)to\j po/ntou tu/gxane xrhstote/rou.<br /><br />"Seaman, don't inquire whose grave I am, rather get yourself a more useful sea."<br />(Any correction welcome)

Orexis
Textkit Neophyte

test

Post by Orexis »

Μὴ εῖναι βασιλικὴν ἀτραπὸν ἐπὶ γεωμετρίαν.[/code]

Lex
Textkit Zealot

Re: test

Post by Lex »

Orexis wrote:Μὴ εῖναι βασιλικὴν ἀτραπὸν ἐπὶ γεωμετρίαν.[/code]
Please read the post tacked to the top of the forum regarding the local standard for representing Greek. Thanks.
I, Lex Llama, super genius, will one day rule this planet! And then you'll rue the day you messed with me, you damned dirty apes!