"Si" clauses without subjunctive

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Amy
Textkit Fan

"Si" clauses without subjunctive

Post by Amy »

Ok, English sentence:
"You will never be able to see my friends if you do not run as quickly as possible."
My translation: Numquam meas amicas videre poteris si quam celerrime non cucurreris.
Is using future perfect right there? is there any time when it's ok NOT to use future perfect? Thanks

benissimus
Global Moderator

Re: "Si" clauses without subjunctive

Post by benissimus »

Amy wrote:Ok, English sentence:
"You will never be able to see my friends if you do not run as quickly as possible."
My translation: Numquam meas amicas videre poteris si quam celerrime non cucurreris.
Is using future perfect right there? is there any time when it's ok NOT to use future perfect? Thanks
That works, but you could have curres rather than cucurreris. The way you write it puts emphasis on the fact that one thing must be done before the other.

The si and non should probably be removed in favor of nisi.
Last edited by benissimus on Thu Jun 17, 2004 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Amy
Textkit Fan

Post by Amy »

Thank you~ glad to see there's freedom with that; my teacher seems to have the idea "ONLY future perfect NEVER anything else". About nisi, yes looking at the vocab Jenney had the same idea.