How to say a name in Greek?

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
John L
Textkit Neophyte

How to say a name in Greek?

Post by John L »

From what I have gathered so far in my studies, I have found that personal names are even different in Greek. My name is John which is different in Greek. How would you say "Audra" in Greek? Would it be any differnt?

That is my wife's name by the way!

Miltiades
Textkit Neophyte

Re: How to say a name in Greek?

Post by Miltiades »

John L wrote:From what I have gathered so far in my studies, I have found that personal names are even different in Greek. My name is John which is different in Greek. How would you say "Audra" in Greek? Would it be any differnt?

That is my wife's name by the way!

Well, I can't think of a greek name (though i'm greek) matching the name Audra. What i can say is that there are a lot of names that don't have a match in other languages. The name "John" is a Jewish name (among lots of others) that has passed to other languages through the biblical texts. Anyway, i'll be glad to look it up for u and see if i can find anything.

markoseugenikos
Textkit Neophyte

Post by markoseugenikos »

Audra is not a Greek name and thus there is no Greek equivalent. You could look up the etymology of Audra and construct a Greek equivalent that has the same sense.