Textkit Logo

kill philosophy

Philosophers and rhetoricians, Welcome!

kill philosophy

Postby mercutio » Sun Jun 13, 2004 12:36 am

Art is love. Philosophy is loneliness. Philosophy only begins when Art is dead. Art is courage, strength, power, exhiliration. Philosophy is fear, weakness, regret, spite.
To make love to your lover is a form of Art. To think about it is a form of philosophy.
Every philosopher is the failed artist wishing to bring down the temple he cannot enter.
Plato burn´d his - unmourn´d - dramatic manuscripts & then try´d to manufacture Platonopolis to justify his failure where he decreed that all great artists should be neuter´d to become eunuchs of high-pitch´d wisdom, like him & his new superior philosophical dialogues. Because the poet he wish´d to be still ate his heart & resented the failure of the man to become a poet.
Tell the man in love he is not happy & he will laugh at you. That is the artist & he will kiss his lover & ignore you.
Tell the man who is alone that he is not happy and he will believe you. That is the philosopher & he will write books & destroy.
Be ye artists or be ye philosophers?
User avatar
mercutio
Textkit Neophyte
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:42 pm

Postby Pete » Sun Jun 13, 2004 4:22 am

You sure know a lot about Plato's insecurities man. I wonder if you knew him personally.
User avatar
Pete
Textkit Neophyte
 
Posts: 82
Joined: Wed May 12, 2004 5:10 pm

Postby blue » Sun Jun 13, 2004 9:45 am

i disagree with your definitions.
User avatar
blue
Textkit Neophyte
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 6:39 pm
Location: florida

Postby threewood14 » Sun Jun 13, 2004 2:39 pm

Philosophy is a pursuit of knowledge. I want knowledge. Therefore I like philosophy.
phpbb
threewood14
Textkit Fan
 
Posts: 349
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:11 pm
Location: Southie

Postby klewlis » Sun Jun 13, 2004 4:23 pm

threewood14 wrote:Philosophy is a pursuit of knowledge. I want knowledge. Therefore I like philosophy.



SOME philosophy is a pursuit of knowledge. The rest is a pursuit of ego-enhancement. ;)

It certainly doesn't need to be either philosophy or art. We need both. Though I would agree that much philosophy is empty and pointless (but perhaps, so is much art).
User avatar
klewlis
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 1506
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2003 1:48 pm
Location: Vancouver, Canada

Re: kill philosophy

Postby copain » Sun Jun 13, 2004 5:19 pm

mercutio wrote:Art is love. Philosophy is loneliness.


    It´s a really extreme position and I do not agree. Because both the artist and the philosopher need´s the dialog between people like them and the society to get inspired as well as quiet moment´s in their study´s to perform their work ! And why should a philosopher who is not filled with love (about this world) spent or waste much time to think about his environment ?
Last edited by copain on Sun Jun 13, 2004 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
copain
Textkit Neophyte
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2004 9:05 pm

Postby annis » Sun Jun 13, 2004 5:25 pm

klewlis wrote:SOME philosophy is a pursuit of knowledge.


And some philosophy is something else:

Epicurus wrote:Empty is that philosophical argument by which no human suffering is therapeutically treated. For just as there is no use in medicine, unless it casts out the illness of bodies, so too there is no use in philosophy, unless it casts out suffering from the soul.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;
annis
Textkit Zealot
 
Posts: 3397
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2003 4:55 pm
Location: Madison, WI, USA

Postby klewlis » Sun Jun 13, 2004 7:02 pm

And I forgot to mention that most artists are also philosophers. :)
User avatar
klewlis
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 1506
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2003 1:48 pm
Location: Vancouver, Canada

Postby threewood14 » Sun Jun 13, 2004 7:23 pm

I for one love both art and philosophy. All you need is a balance.
phpbb
threewood14
Textkit Fan
 
Posts: 349
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:11 pm
Location: Southie

Postby markoseugenikos » Wed Jun 16, 2004 4:42 am

[face=spionic]Ou) prospoiei=sqai dei= filosofei=n, a)ll' o1ntwj filosofei=n [/face]
markoseugenikos
Textkit Neophyte
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:27 am

Re: kill philosophy

Postby Amaryllis » Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:28 pm

mercutio wrote:Art is love. Philosophy is loneliness. Philosophy only begins when Art is dead. Art is courage, strength, power, exhiliration. Philosophy is fear, weakness, regret, spite.


Actually, I find the above views a bit extreme. Isn't philosophy itself a form of art, this of speech and reasoning? For many thinking is not only a solution to understanding problems but a way of expressing oneself. And certainly philosophy demands a great amount of inner courage and strength. Remember the ancient greek definition of shaping opinions: thesis, antithesis and finally synthesis. This process can be exhilarating and it needs the power of one convincing another. Philosophy may be difficult but can we found within one's soul, the same as art.
Amaryllis
Textkit Neophyte
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:01 pm
Location: Athens, Greece

Re: kill philosophy

Postby Democritus » Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:04 pm

mercutio wrote:Art is love.


The word 'art' gets defined in so many strange ways, that I think the word has become stripped of any meaning at all. I'm sure I have no idea what the word means.

Each time I hear someone telling me what "art" is, I'm feel a compulsion to challenge them to tell me, "What is not art, then? Please give some examples of things that are not art." The way art is defined sometimes, you can include pretty much anything. One workable definition of "art" might be "things the speaker approves of", and "not art" would be "things the speaker does not approve of."

mercutio wrote:Art is courage, strength, power, exhiliration. Philosophy is fear, weakness, regret, spite.


OK so, under this definition, I guess an infantry brigade would be art, then. Right?

mercutio wrote:Art is love.


I remember from high school:

1. God is love.
2. Love is blind.
3. Ray Charles is blind.
Therefore: Ray Charles is God.

I guess Ray Charles is art, too. :)
Democritus
Textkit Fan
 
Posts: 331
Joined: Fri May 07, 2004 12:14 am
Location: California

Re: kill philosophy

Postby Mongoose42 » Thu Jun 17, 2004 1:01 am

mercutio wrote:Art is love. Philosophy is loneliness.

If philosophy is loneliness, why is there such a community of people that stand around discussing philosophy?

Isn't textkit founded on a group of people that spend much of their time pursuing intelectual philosophies and knpwledge?

Maybe its like smoking. They say people start to be part of a crowd and then say that no crowd exists.
phpbb
Mongoose42
Textkit Neophyte
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:48 pm
Location: Green Bay,WI

Re: kill philosophy

Postby Raya » Sun Jun 20, 2004 3:46 pm

mercutio wrote:Art is love.
And philosophers are the lovers of [face=SPIonic]So/fia[/face].
phpbb
User avatar
Raya
Textkit Fan
 
Posts: 302
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 9:27 am

Postby chiggles » Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:40 am

Not the greatest first post ever, but here is:

Therefore: Ray Charles is God.


Ray Charles (September 23, 1930 – June 10, 2004) was a pioneering pianist


Ray Charles is dead.
Therefore: God is dead.
Thus spoke the madman at the market-place.
chiggles
Textkit Neophyte
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:16 am
Location: Madison, WI

Postby Michaelyus » Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:01 pm

Such sacrilege!

Now I kind of see why the Spaniards have ser and estar; there should be far more different "to be" verbs.

Art is in the eye of the beholder. Beauty is the sum of different features from different people divided by the sum of their frequency. Philosophy is challenging the foundations of the world to strengthen them. A debate differs from an argument only in magnitude.
phpbb
Michaelyus
Textkit Fan
 
Posts: 200
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2004 8:47 pm
Location: London, UK

Postby primitive » Sat Jul 03, 2004 10:36 pm

Ray Charles is dead.
Therefore: God is dead.
Thus spoke the madman at the market-place.


:lol:
phpbb
primitive
Textkit Member
 
Posts: 151
Joined: Tue May 04, 2004 11:27 pm
Location: Boston


Return to The Academy

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests