Latin Grammar in German

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
mariek
Global Moderator

Latin Grammar in German

Post by mariek »

I stumbled upon this site and thought it looked neat and possibly of interest to some of you Latin learners who are interested in German (Milito, you come to mind :) ) ... brush up on Latin Grammar while practicing your German! ;D <br /><br />I'm posting it here first, before the "Outside Links" forum, because I'm not sure whether the website offers much value... cuz I can't read a word of German. :'( So, let me know what you think of the site...<br /><br />http://www.kreienbuehl.ch/lat/latein/gr ... atikx.html

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Re:Latin Grammar in German

Post by Episcopus »

german is harder than latin :'( <br /><br />I took a look at the prepositions and remember how difficult they are...

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito »

Thanks, MarieK! <br /><br />Whew! What a way to learn to read German - jump in feet first!<br /><br />(Actually, I found a pretty good on-line beginning German course, too, so maybe I won't be as lost as I think......)<br /><br />Kilmeny

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

I was finally daring enough to look at that German link to Gaelic lessons-it was neat! (Tease away, klewlis! ;)) However, greagach was right-it wasn't hard to find what I was looking for. I know a word of German-three or four, actually-but not enough to learn Latin in German! ;D<br /><br />Keesa

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=Episcopus link=board=3;threadid=416;start=0#3225 date=1060448559]<br />german is harder than latin :'( <br /><br />I took a look at the prepositions and remember how difficult they are...<br />[/quote]<br /><br />I've wanted to learn German because I know several people who speak it. That means I would have more opportunities to practice German... than Latin! :-/ I don't know how German prepositions compare to Latin prepositions. I find I'm still trying to get a handle on Latin prepositions ... when to use a preposition and with which case.<br />

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

Milito wrote:<br />Whew! What a way to learn to read German - jump in feet first!
<br /><br />LOL! But if you think about it, since you already know a lot of Latin, brushing up on Latin Grammar in German should be a walk in the park... ;) <br />
<br />(Actually, I found a pretty good on-line beginning German course, too, so maybe I won't be as lost as I think......)
<br /><br />Really? Learning German is on my "things to do in my lifetime" list. Which online site is this? I'd be interested in taking a look. Perhaps it'll inspire me to pick up German sooner.

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

I'd be interested in the site, too, although I don't think I'll be learning German anytime in the near future. It's on my list to learn one day, though! <br /><br />Keesa

Nihil
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Nihil »

Thanks for the link to the site, Mariek. :D<br /><br /><br />[quote author=mariek link=board=3;threadid=416;start=0#3246 date=1060469721]<br /><br />Really? Learning German is on my "things to do in my lifetime" list. Which online site is this? I'd be interested in taking a look. Perhaps it'll inspire me to pick up German sooner. <br />[/quote]<br /><br />Good German grammar overview: http://www.lsa.umich.edu/german/hmr/<br /><br />Good introduction and portal site: http://german.about.com<br /><br />Good grammar handbook: Essential German Grammar by Martin Durrell, Katrin Kohl, and Gurdrun Loftus.<br /><br />Cheap, but good, self-teaching course: Living Language German Course<br /><br />Good beginner's German dictionary: Harrap's Concise German Dictionary<br />

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

Great! Thank you, Nihil! Now if I decide to learn German in the next decade or two, I'll know exactly where to go. ;D<br /><br />Keesa

Nihil
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Nihil »

No problem, Keesa. :)

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito »

[quote author=mariek link=board=3;threadid=416;start=0#3246 date=1060469721]<br /><br />Really? Learning German is on my "things to do in my lifetime" list. Which online site is this? I'd be interested in taking a look. Perhaps it'll inspire me to pick up German sooner. <br />[/quote]<br /><br />The site's more of an on-line textbook, and has a link (I think it's this one) to some fairy tales in German, which the instructor found very useful for getting his students reading..... In case it doesn't, I'll include that link, too. <br /><br />On-line textbook link: http://www.geocities.com/gene_moutoux/Gerpage1.htm<br /><br />German Fairy Tales practise link:<br /><br />http://www.geocities.com/gene_moutoux/fairytales.htm<br /><br />This last one links to the page author's home page.... he teaches English, German and.... Latin!<br /><br />Kilmeny

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

[quote author=Milito link=board=3;threadid=416;start=0#3510 date=1060609024]<br /><br />The site's more of an on-line textbook, and has a link to some fairy tales in German, which the instructor found very useful for getting his students reading<br /><br />Kilmeny<br />[/quote]<br /><br />That's such a neat site! (I found the vocabulary at the top and to the side particularly interesting.) Now, then. Does anyone know of any similar fairy tales in Latin? I am steadfastly resisting any temptation to start German until later...<br /><br />Keesa

philplus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by philplus »

Well, this is my first thread in this forum.
I find the www.kreienbuehl.ch website you provided here rather interesting, and it's about BOTH Latin and Greek, NOT ONLY Latin!--which adds to its value.
And the problem I want to ask is where I can find any Latin textbooks written in German downloadable online, just like LFB in Textkit. :?
And I have also read by chance that there are some online radio in Latin, but the URLs given on the forum cannot be connected. Could anybody help me with that?