Beta Testers Wanted

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Paul
Textkit Zealot

Beta Testers Wanted

Post by Paul »

Hi All,

For the last two years I have on and off been writing Windows-based software that 'assists' in the translation, annotation, and printing of ancient greek.

A couple of our generous peers here at Textkit have already begun beta-testing this software. And I am now looking for more volunteers.

If you are interested; and are a user of Internet Explorer release 6+, please visit http://www.greekgeek.org. Once there, in the table of contents frame, click on 'Software'. After this entry opens, click on 'Ancient Greek Text Manager'. Here you will see a brief summary of features, and instructions for joining the beta testing.

Beggars can't be choosers. So all I ask is that

a. you not redistribute the software
b. you reply to my questions about any problems you report (this will allow me to improve the software)

Thank you.

Cordially,

Paul

PeterD
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by PeterD »

Hi,

Paul needs our help in beta-testing. I volunteered a little while back. It's simple, fun and, if you love Homer, orgasmic ( if you're easily aroused, proceed gingerly :wink: ).

All I can say is when I needed translation help, Paul was one of the first people there to help. Check the posts. Among the names of Annis, Chad, Jeff, Benissimus (coolest name on textkit), Klewlis, et al., Paul was always there.

So, if you have some spare time, let's help Paul in his unselfish endeavour.

Take care.

PeterD

P.S. I am not being paid nor am I related to Paul. :wink:
Fanatical ranting is not just fine because it's eloquent. What if I ranted for the extermination of a people in an eloquent manner, would that make it fine? Rather, ranting, be it fanatical or otherwise, is fine if what is said is true and just. ---PeterD, in reply to IreneY and Annis

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

I am only moderatly computer literate, so I don't know how much help I can offer.
(It would probably help if I knew what beta-testing is.) :oops:

PeterD
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by PeterD »

Bert wrote:I am only moderatly computer literate, so I don't know how much help I can offer.
(It would probably help if I knew what beta-testing is.) :oops:
Hi Bert,

Just to let you know, my computer proficiency is nothing to brag about. I am a lover not a programmer. If I could help in beta-testing, anyone can help.

Beta-testing is nothing more than the testing phase of a newly developed software program by regular folks like us, before its public release. It's fancifully called beta-testing because computer geeks want to be cool so they try to use cool names. No, just kdding. It's called that because its initial testing (in-house -- Paul's house to be exact) by its creator/s is called alpha-testing. What's after alpha? Beta (i.e., step 2). See? It's not complicated at all!

So, beta-testing is nothing more than just trying out the software. The benefits include being one the first to try it out; the satisfaction of detecting problems with it and making a fool out of Paul (just kidding, Paul :)); and offering any suggestions for improvement.

Take a visit to Paul's site at http://www.greekgeek.org .It will be a great learning experience -- I swear on Paul's life !:)

Take care.

PeterD

P.S. Where are all the Yankee voulunteers? Is it just going to be us crazy Canucks?

P.P.S I have to run -- love calls. :D
Fanatical ranting is not just fine because it's eloquent. What if I ranted for the extermination of a people in an eloquent manner, would that make it fine? Rather, ranting, be it fanatical or otherwise, is fine if what is said is true and just. ---PeterD, in reply to IreneY and Annis

Thucydides
Textkit Fan

Post by Thucydides »

Paul has indeed often been very helpful especially with philological queries.

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

I went to his web-site with the intention of helping, but I do not have IE 6+.
I sure hope Paul gets enough offers of help.

Paul
Textkit Zealot

Post by Paul »

Thank you just the same Bert. Several folks have stepped forward and we are starting to shake out some of the bugs.

Cordially,

Paul

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to say that Paul's program is very amazing and if anyone has some free time please, consider helping out by beta-testing his software.

The software really has some nice features. For one thing, it'll allow you to add notes and comments to any word. There's also a Perseus look-up tool and a feature to show and hide your translation. There are still many other features that make this a product that you can use and enjoy. And it's free!

Jeff
Textkit Founder

Thucydides
Textkit Fan

Post by Thucydides »

Having downloaded it I can confirm that it is indeed amazing!

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

I'll test it! :D (Thanks for explaining what beta-testing is... I thought it might be something complicated only people who are really good at pcs can do...)
So, all I have to do is download it and report any bugs?

Edit: I'll test it - if I can install it that is... what is a runtime?

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

Wow :shock:! This tool is really great! Amazing! :D :D :D
I'll test it some more tomorrow :D !

Paul
Textkit Zealot

Post by Paul »

Thanks Emma. :D

New version is on its way to beta-testers. The way things are going, I don't think beta period will have to be very long.

Cordially,

Paul