What do I have to look forward to?

Are you learning Koine Greek, the Greek of the New Testament and most other post-classical Greek texts? Whatever your level, use this forum to discuss all things Koine, Biblical or otherwise, including grammar, textbook talk, difficult passages, and more.
John L
Textkit Neophyte

What do I have to look forward to?

Post by John L »

I have ordered Mounce's book on the basics of Greek, it also has a CD that comes with it. I have not got it yet because I have ordered it off the internet and it has not come in yet.

I have been studying Greek on my own for awhile, and have even taken a little course on the internet. http://www.ibiblio.org/koine/greek/lessons/ How far along does Mounce's course take you? Can anyone tell me some details about this study course from personal experience and how it has helped you?

I guess I am just getting anxious to get it! I have been busting my buns everyday trying to learn this language better. I have thought about taking Greek from a Bible College but I hate class rooms!

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

I don't own Mounce but have looked at it a couple of times and some friends of mine have it. I have heard excellent things about it, especially with the supplemental CDRom. It will take you through all of the basics of first year greek--this means all of the basic grammar, all of the forms. Once you are finished you should be able to read passages from the New Testament, and should be ready to move on to more detailed syntax (which we took in our second year).

I found it extremely helpful to have a teacher, but especially *after* the first year. In addition to helping us understand the concepts and work through difficult passages, my profs taught us how to be responsible and careful scholars, which was incredibly valuable.
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Geoff
Textkit Fan

Post by Geoff »

I really like Mounce. You will find his work a breath of fresh air. His explanations are really good. I highly recomend the getting the workbook also.

Where you find something difficult DO look at other beginning grammars. I suggest Machen and even more the Samuel Green available right here at textkit. Green and Mounce go together Nicely. If you get bogged down on the explanations of 3rd declension nouns, rather than learn the the way it was put in the grammar perhaps you should get Mounce's Morphology of Biblical greek. Sometimes more is less (if that makes sense). Whatever you do, keep up your momentum through the book.

See www.teknia.com for more help, and www.biblicaltraining.org for the chapter summaries of Mounce's book before your copy arrives.

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

I have worked my way through Mounce and have enjoyed doing it.
The only negative comment I have heard is the fact that he teaches all the basic grammar concerning nouns before going to verbs.
I found this aproach an advantage. The second edition allows for both aproaches, so if you feel you want to learn verbs and nouns together this edition allows you to do so.
Best wishes in your studies.