JWW exercises, para 189, 191, 205, 207, 213, 215

Use this forum to organize a study group around a specific textbook. Before starting, you might wish to advertise your plan on other forums first.
Koala
Textkit Neophyte

JWW exercises, para 189, 191, 205, 207, 213, 215

Post by Koala »

submitting some Gk to Eng ?

1. He has proceeded to Cyrus
2. He/this one will have gladly ceased from the war with the barbarians
3. He dismissed both the general and the satrap
4. The soldiers had proceeded five stages through friendly country
5. Few of the soldiers bought the provisions
6. The hoplites have proceeded onto the summit
7. And the satrap sent into Phrygia for horses and arms and the other equipment
8. The enemy did not desist from shouting the entire day
9. And when/as these also were present, Cyrus marched into the country of the enemy

These were present with him in Sardis. But Tissaphernes was going/went to Artaxerxes; for he did not know that this equipment was for Pisidia. And Artaxerxes, when Tissaphernes said these things, prepares himself in turn.
Cyrus, having these soldiers, marches out from Sardis through Lydia three days journey to the river Meander - and there was a bridge over it. From there he marched out through Phrygia to Colossae.

1. we will be loosed from these terrible things
2. we were hard pressed in the narrow road by the enemy/ies
3. it is said a messengers had come from Darius
4. indeed the bowmen were sent after/for in this way
5. they were being pursued seven parasangs through the plain
6. a letter was written to Clearchus
7. the arms were plundered from the towns by the barbarians
8. on the right twenty hoplites were shot
9. they will be sent by Cyrus to Phrygia from this place

Cyrus remains in that place for seven days; and Menon the Thessalite came with (having) hoplites and targeteers. From there he marches out twenty parasangs towards Celaenae
In that place Cyrus had a palace and a park, in which were savage (wild) animals - these he used to hunt from horseback. For so/in this way he was training the horses. The Meander river flows through the park - its springs flowed (were) out of/from the palace - and it also flows through Celaenae.

1. have thirty bowmen been left behind?
2. at the same time, O Proxene, you had been sent to the bridge
3. the army has been cut down by the enemy
4. a thousand hoplites had been sent by sea
5. (a) few of Cyrus? friends had been abandoned
6. the soldiers had been left
7. from this village a messenger had been sent to Cyrus
8. the tress have been felled
9. Cyrus has dismissed the messenger
10. we have sent for the hoplites from Phrygia

There is also the palace of Artaxerxes in Celaenae, fortified at the springs of the River Marsyas ? and it flows through Celaenae.
There Cyrus stays thirty days, and Clearchus comes with/having a thousand hoplites and slingers and bowmen. At the same time Sophainetos also appears with/having a thousand hoplites. And there Cyrus takes/makes a count of his Greek soldiers in the park, and there were eleven hundred (ten thousand and a thousand) hoplites, and two thousand peltasts/targeteers.

Cordially
Last edited by Koala on Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Skylax »

Hello, Koala !

Please consider the following comments as a tribute to your huge work, although my bad knowledge of English does not make these comments very useful. I will try to comment on the other exercises too, but it will certainly be slow, because of shortage of time.

χαῖρε

2. « He » : maybe « This one » ? « has ceased » : « will have ceased » (future perfect)
7. « sent into Phrygia » : in French I would say « fit venir en Phrygie » : I understand thus that the satrap was himself in Phrygia and ordered others to bring horses etc. into Phrygia.
9. « when » : « as » is also possible (like a Latin cum historicum)

« was going » : in French, this Greek imperfect can be rendered by « alla », i. e. « went ». Greek uses a descriptive way of expression, French a narrative one. What does English use in this case ?

4. « not yet » is οὔπω : here it is οὕτω « so, in this way »

Once more οὕτω : « So he trained (his) horses »
ἐκ τῶν βασίλειων (plural) means « out of/from the palace » (singular)

1. « were left » : it is a perfect, so « have been left » ( ?)
2. ἐπέπεμψο is a pluperfect, thus « you had been sent », I think. Future perfect should be (virtually) [edit]πέπεμψῃ

Koala
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Koala »

Thank you once again Skylax for your time and effort. I will make the corrections/add the alternatives

with respect to:
7. « sent into Phrygia » : in French I would say « fit venir en Phrygie » : I understand thus that the satrap was himself in Phrygia and ordered others to bring horses etc. into Phrygia.
to get the ‘faire venir’ meaning, we might say

And the satrap had horses and arms and … sent to him in Phrygia
... or something similar
191 « was going » : in French, this Greek imperfect can be rendered by « alla », i. e. « went ». Greek uses a descriptive way of expression, French a narrative one. What does English use in this case ?
I’m not sure whether we use a narrative or descriptive way of expression, but in more natural English I think we would use “went” – I only used “was …ing” to remind me (as a student) that the Greek tense was the imperfect, not the aorist.

Cheers