Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Ptolemaios
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Ptolemaios »

Hi,<br /><br />I'm a student of Classics at Leiden University (The Netherlands), currently working on my thesis on the oblique optative in Ancient Greek. I'm especially interested in Greek linguistics, but 'Harrius Potter et philosophi lapis' may just be interesting enough to brush up my Latin again.

mariek
Global Moderator

Re:New member

Post by mariek »

Salve! Welcome to the TextKit forums! It's always nice to see new people here. :)<br /><br />Pardon my ignorance in Greek, but ... what is the "oblique optative" in Ancient Greek?

Ptolemaios
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Ptolemaios »

No need to be ashamed, even some of my fellow-students gaze blankly when I tell them what my thesis is about.<br /><br />In Greek in some clauses (e.g. final clauses) the optative can be used after historical tenses (imperfect, aorist, or pluperfect); the trick is that the original mood (indicative or subjunctive) can be retained. Big question is why an author chooses the option he chooses.

Mansella
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Mansella »

Since you mentioned the author's choice, does this compositional technique have implications for aesthetics? If so, have you considered researching concepts of creative process?<br />Welcome to the forum.<br />

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

[quote author=Ptolemaios link=board=6;threadid=278;start=0#1739 date=1058815980]<br />In Greek in some clauses (e.g. final clauses) the optative can be used after historical tenses (imperfect, aorist, or pluperfect); the trick is that the original mood (indicative or subjunctive) can be retained. Big question is why an author chooses the option he chooses.<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Hi Ptolemaios:<br /><br />Are there any Textkit grammars that deal with this topic in a meaningful way that you agree or disagree with? <br /><br />At what stage of a student's Ancient Greek studies do you think its best to begin covering the oblique optative? <br /><br />jeff
Textkit Founder

Paul
Textkit Zealot

Post by Paul »

[quote author=jeff link=board=6;threadid=278;start=0#1776 date=1058874902]<br /><br />Are there any Textkit grammars that deal with this topic in a meaningful way that you agree or disagree with? <br /><br />[/quote]

Paul
Textkit Zealot

Post by Paul »

[quote author=jeff link=board=6;threadid=278;start=0#1776 date=1058874902]<br /><br />Are there any Textkit grammars that deal with this topic in a meaningful way that you agree or disagree with? <br /><br />[/quote]<br /><br />Hi,<br /><br />Sorry about my last post. Hit 'post' when I meant 'preview'.<br /><br />I don't know if there are any Textkit grammars that discuss this. I would guess that there are if only because every grammar I've looked at discusses the use of subjunctive or optative in final clauses.<br /><br />Smyth's "Greek Grammar", available at Perseus, discusses this starting at number 2193.<br /><br />Welcome to Textkit, Ptolemaios; I'm new here myself.<br /><br />Cordially,<br /><br />Paul

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

I really need to get around to posting Smyth. <br /><br />I have a 1920 first edition, but I keep looking at all 900 pages and I talk myself into doing other things, sigh :-(<br /><br />jeff
Textkit Founder