lacrima et annus

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
klewlis
Global Moderator

lacrima et annus

Post by klewlis »

hey,

I'm looking for possible synonyms for lacrima and annus.

Specifically, I want to find a way to make the ablative plural of "tears" rhyme with the ablative singular of "year". So right now I have anno and lacrimis, which of course do not rhyme.

Any ideas?

I wanted to check Perseus but it appears to be down right now...
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

benissimus
Global Moderator

Re: lacrima et annus

Post by benissimus »

klewlis wrote:hey,

I'm looking for possible synonyms for lacrima and annus.

Specifically, I want to find a way to make the ablative plural of "tears" rhyme with the ablative singular of "year". So right now I have anno and lacrimis, which of course do not rhyme.

Any ideas?

I wanted to check Perseus but it appears to be down right now...
The only words I know for "tear" are lacrima (diminutive lacrimula and fletus, -us. If you want to rhyme, it seems llike annus is the one that will have to change, unless you can get them both in the plural. You could also fiddle with more figurative meanings for either word...
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Michaelyus
Textkit Fan

Post by Michaelyus »

Could you perhaps say spatio annuo for anno?

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

Michaelyus wrote:Could you perhaps say spatio annuo for anno?
no.... that would send the meaning in a different direction than the one I want...

hm.... well, I can rearrange the syntax a bit and rhyme something else, but I just wanted to see if I could make those two work instead....

figurative meanings won't work either, due to the nature of the work (I am translating something english to latin :)
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

auctor
Textkit Member

Post by auctor »

I could be missing something quite fundemental here but I can't see any way that an abl. sing is going to rhyme with an abl. pl.
Can't you shuffle the word order so that you have words with the same inflection at the end of each line? Take advantage of your 'poetic licence' :wink:

Paul McK

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

you're right of course, i hadn't noticed that... there are no abl sing endings that rhyme with any abl plural endings. pity.

maybe i could pluralize year instead... then i'd have lacrimis and annis.