Thrasymachus by Peckett and Munday

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Eureka
Textkit Zealot

Thrasymachus by Peckett and Munday

Post by Eureka »

I'm thinking of buying this book. It sounds like an enjoyable way to learn. I'd like to get the opinions of anyone here who have (or have read) this book on whether they think it's an good book for self-study.

Also, I just want to make shure of a couple of things: Firstly, that it is for Attic Greek. And secondly, that it has a vocabulary section and no seperate dictionary is required.

chad
Textkit Zealot

Post by chad »

hi eureka, i have it and i definitely recommend it. anyone who has worked through the first few lessons of a standard attic greek book will get lots out of thrasymachus. it's attic, and it has a specific vocab list for each lesson (plus a consolidated one at the end). i basically found thrasymachus the most helpful book for learning attic: but if someone stanrted greek with this book from scratch, they might find it a bit too immersive (but there's a "thrasymachus" website as well which provides more of the grammar explanations if you need them: a google search brings it up.)

Eureka
Textkit Zealot

Post by Eureka »

chad wrote:hi eureka, i have it and i definitely recommend it. anyone who has worked through the first few lessons of a standard attic greek book will get lots out of thrasymachus. it's attic, and it has a specific vocab list for each lesson (plus a consolidated one at the end). i basically found thrasymachus the most helpful book for learning attic: but if someone stanrted greek with this book from scratch, they might find it a bit too immersive (but there's a "thrasymachus" website as well which provides more of the grammar explanations if you need them: a google search brings it up.)
[face=Verdana]καλός.[/face]

Now, if only I didn't have exams in a few weeks.

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

8) Thrasymachus was our textbook when I started studying Greek at school 30+ years ago.

auctor
Textkit Member

Post by auctor »

ditto...

I still see my old Classics master from time to time, and he says that (given the circumstances) he would still use it!

P

chad
Textkit Zealot

Post by chad »

i've actually scanned (i.e. marked longs and shorts) the greek. if anyone else would find it useful i could scan (i.e. pdf) the first lesson (with its vocab list) and put it online, so that others can see thrasymachus is like, and how it's different from other books. there are about 30-50 lessons, i don't know if scanning 1 would be a breach of copyright...

Pete
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Pete »

Amazon.com can't let you look inside the book until they get the publisher's permission. If you want, ask the publisher first if you can show off a chapter of the book.

Barrius
Textkit Member

Post by Barrius »

chad wrote:i've actually scanned (i.e. marked longs and shorts) the greek. if anyone else would find it useful i could scan (i.e. pdf) the first lesson (with its vocab list) and put it online, so that others can see thrasymachus is like, and how it's different from other books. there are about 30-50 lessons, i don't know if scanning 1 would be a breach of copyright...
We've discussed this in part on another thread. Fair use policy allows the posting of one lesson to demonstrate the contents (educational, no charge, limited use, intent etc). Posting substantial portions would be a violation.

In the case of Amazon.com, they sell the works in question, so obviously they cannot simply post pages at will - which is why they must have the publishers permission for "Look Inside this Book" and for the "Search Inside the Book" features.

Be sure to include the copyright notation, as well as publication information. And stay at a Holiday Inn :lol:

Barrius
Textkit Member

Post by Barrius »

Pete wrote:Amazon.com can't let you look inside the book until they get the publisher's permission. If you want, ask the publisher first if you can show off a chapter of the book.
Oh yes, regardless of the fair use policy, always attempt to obtain written permission whenever possible!

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

That site isn't Thrasymachus, it's somebody's supplementary explanations and exercises for people using Thrasymachus.

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

Oh! :oops: :cry: :sigh: :? :(