What differs nam from quia?

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Hampie
Textkit Member

Post by Hampie »

{I accidently wrote 'nam' instead of 'num', but now the question is correct!}
Last edited by Hampie on Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Här kan jag i alla fall skriva på svenska, eller hur?

furrykef
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: What differs num from quia?

Post by furrykef »

"Num" and "quia" are entirely different, and in fact I'm confused as to why you think they're similar... ^^;

Num = negative question particle. Indicates that the speaker expects an answer of 'no'. "Num id crēdis?" = "You don't believe that, do you?" (The question may or may not be rhetorical.)

"Quia" simply means "because". You will also see "quod" with that meaning, though "quod" has other meanings as well.
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.

Delirant isti romani!

Hampie
Textkit Member

Re: What differs num from quia?

Post by Hampie »

furrykef wrote:"Num" and "quia" are entirely different, and in fact I'm confused as to why you think they're similar... ^^;

Num = negative question particle. Indicates that the speaker expects an answer of 'no'. "Num id crēdis?" = "You don't believe that, do you?" (The question may or may not be rhetorical.)

"Quia" simply means "because". You will also see "quod" with that meaning, though "quod" has other meanings as well.
I ment nam XD.

furrykef
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: What differs nam from quia?

Post by furrykef »

Ahh... now that makes sense. ^^; I should have caught that, especially since I used to have the same question!

From what I can gather, it has to do with the way the sentences flow together more than anything. "Quia" (and "quod", for that matter) is generally like English "because", and "nam" and (sometimes) "enim" are more like archaic English conjunction "for" ("for he's a jolly good fellow", "for God so loved the world")... unfortunately, it may be a hard distinction to grasp if your native language doesn't make a similar distinction. I'm usually good at explaining things even when other people throw their hands up in despair at trying to explain it, but this has even me at a loss...

EDIT: I'm gonna take a stab at explaining it anyway. I think "quia" and "quod" imply a stronger connection with what was just said. You use them to answer the question "why?" -- sometimes the question is merely implied rather than explicitly asked. In this case, providing the reason is the primary purpose of the sentence. "Nam" and "enim" are used for more incidental information, as if to say, "Oh, by the way, that's because [blah blah blah]".
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.

Delirant isti romani!

Hampie
Textkit Member

Post by Hampie »

furrykef wrote:Ahh... now that makes sense. ^^; I should have caught that, especially since I used to have the same question!

From what I can gather, it has to do with the way the sentences flow together more than anything. "Quia" (and "quod", for that matter) is generally like English "because", and "nam" and (sometimes) "enim" are more like archaic English conjunction "for" ("for he's a jolly good fellow", "for God so loved the world")... unfortunately, it may be a hard distinction to grasp if your native language doesn't make a similar distinction. I'm usually good at explaining things even when other people throw their hands up in despair at trying to explain it, but this has even me at a loss...

EDIT: I'm gonna take a stab at explaining it anyway. I think "quia" and "quod" imply a stronger connection with what was just said. You use them to answer the question "why?" -- sometimes the question is merely implied rather than explicitly asked. In this case, providing the reason is the primary purpose of the sentence. "Nam" and "enim" are used for more incidental information, as if to say, "Oh, by the way, that's because [blah blah blah]".
Swedish actually do retain the disctinction between 'for' and 'because' and it's used more offen in Swedish than in English :3. But to be honest, I never ever think about the differenses between 'for' and 'because'.

msfonsecajr
Textkit Neophyte

Post by msfonsecajr »

Dear Fellows,

Nam is best translated as indeed, while quia as because.

Bye!

SuhazChowdhury
Textkit Neophyte

Post by SuhazChowdhury »

I think nam is vary Differen from quia . but quia is couse. :shock: