greek text on android

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
vir litterarum
Textkit Zealot

greek text on android

Post by vir litterarum »

Does anyone know whether it is possible to display Greek text on an android phone?

NateD26
Textkit Zealot

Re: greek text on android

Post by NateD26 »

This solution shows how to display Polytonic Greek in AnkiDroid app,
I do not know if that affects other apps though.
Nate.

csamels
Textkit Neophyte

Post by csamels »

I don't know if this will help, but an app called Hebrew Reader for Android seems to be capable of displaying txt and html files of Polytonic Greek if the files are in utf-8 encoding. It displays with a black background and white text, but maybe that's no problem. It was a free app when I got it.

edonnelly
Administrator

Post by edonnelly »

My Pharr app (Phlash Cards) handles polytonic Greek just fine:

https://market.android.com/details?id=c ... hlashcards
The lists:
G'Oogle and the Internet Pharrchive - 1100 or so free Latin and Greek books.
DownLOEBables - Free books from the Loeb Classical Library

Scribo
Global Moderator

Post by Scribo »

edonnelly wrote:My Pharr app (Phlash Cards) handles polytonic Greek just fine:

https://market.android.com/details?id=c ... hlashcards
That it is! I am telling η κορη, I have to get an android phone now...
(Occasionally) Working on the following tutorials:

(P)Aristotle, Theophrastus and Peripatetic Greek
Intro Greek Poetry
Latin Historical Prose

csamels
Textkit Neophyte

Post by csamels »

I was speaking of a text reader, not just flashcards, so if you wanted to read book one of Herodotus in a utf-8 encoded text file, you could do that. I spoke too soon about the html in that program, because I haven't been able to open a polytonic Greek one, but the text file display works just fine. I'll check out your flashcard program.

csamels
Textkit Neophyte

Post by csamels »

I took a look at Phlash Cards. It says android 2.0 or something, and I've got lower than that. I have been using a flash card program for android called Remata. It's bare bones, but works just fine for me. I can input csv or xml card files. His program uses the Gentium font. Does Phlash Cards let you create your own card sets? Also, what are you using to read Greek texts, not just cards?

edonnelly
Administrator

Post by edonnelly »

As far as Phlash Cards goes, despite its name, it's not really a flash card program. It's a study tool for people going through Pharr. It can quiz you on vocabulary for the different lessons, declensions, conjugations, etc. using the examples from the text. It also has the first book of the Iliad, with lines associated by the chapter they are covered in the book. There's nothing customizable about it.

I have never tried to read any Greek text (other than the Iliad on my app) using my phone, so I don't know what the best program to use would be, but obviously the phone can handle unicode and polytonic fonts perfectly well.
The lists:

csamels
Textkit Neophyte

Post by csamels »

I WAS able to get a polytonic Greek html page to display tonight on the program, but I had to construct a simple html page to do it (in Notepad, the way I used to make my very first web pages back in the nineties) and then paste the text (from a utf-8) document into the html page. The html code was very basic, none of the stuff you see in web pages these days on web sites - no css etc, but I pasted in to that page the first sentence from Xenophon's Anabasis book 1, so I know it works. Now, as to the phones being capable of displaying polytonic Greek, I rather think it is a matter of (1) "rooting" the phone and putting in a polytonic Greek font - which is something I don't care to do, or (2) using a format that is capable of embedding the font in the document (such as the pdf Adobe page format or epub book format, both of which support embedded fonts) The drawback to that method is that each document must have an embedded font, which greatly increases the size of the files being stored. Now, there is a middle ground (3) which is including (or embedding) the font in the particular application. As I stated above, Remata included the Gentium font in the app, and this is used by it for the display. Now, in the reader app that I had, apparently there is a font in there that is capable of displaying polytonic Greek (and Hebrew, for that matter). I don't know about later versions of android, but the android I'm using doesn't have polytonic Greek in its system fonts. That's why people have been "rooting" their phones/tablets to substitute a font that will display polytonic Greek. I didn't feel like rooting my device (and possibly turning it into a brick). Using an app with an included font is the easiest way for me. The developer of the app, then, is, I guess, responsible for following the font license for whatever font he includes. I don't know how your Phlash Card app handled the matter. Whether you included a font in the app that displays polytonic Greek, or whether Google has finally come round to installing a system font that will display it.

edonnelly
Administrator

Post by edonnelly »

csamels wrote:The developer of the app, then, is, I guess, responsible for following the font license for whatever font he includes. I don't know how your Phlash Card app handled the matter.
I used New Athena Unicode, which uses the SIL open font license. It's actually not my favorite font, but the ones I like better had a more restrictive license. But it is a very good font, I think.
The lists:

csamels
Textkit Neophyte

Post by csamels »

Yeah, NAU is a good font. I am hoping that Google sees the need for android tablet users to have some easier way to add fonts. I have a cheap Maylong tablet, a Cruise eReader, and a Pandigital Novel, none of which have access to the Market, and an Android 1.5 virtual phone on my PC with the android sdk, which does have access to the Market (which is why I can't get your app). None of those things are phones, but the tablets have seven inch screens, which helps my poor myopic eyesight. I don't think I could read lots of text on a regular phone, anyway, but I suppose I will just wait and get another tablet later on this year when I can get one with Market access, but now that I have something workable as far as flashcards and a text reader, I'll just stick with that. I take it that your app il pretty much like what is up on your website, so it must be pretty elaborate. Thanks for the info.

csamels
Textkit Neophyte

Post by csamels »

I installed another virtual phone and downloaded your app. Looks really good. My Cruz eReader is only Android 2.0, so I don't think it will run on that, but I can run your app on the emulator on my desktop, which is better than nothing, I suppose.

csamels
Textkit Neophyte

Post by csamels »

Also, for some reason, in your app, what should be, I suppose, right arrows appear as check marks, but that doesn't seem to stop them from working ok.

csamels
Textkit Neophyte

Post by csamels »

OK, so I FINALLY found a couple of programs that really do work for me on my android stuff. They both are sensible enough to allow the user to use fonts (get your own) stored on the sd card. So if you want to use Gentium or New Athena or whatever, great. No need to hack the device or the program or store blboated files. The first is a fairly robust flashcard program called AnyMemo. It stores the cards as a database, but you can use their converter to convert from csv files (which means you can download files from places like flashcardexchange) and xml files (which means you can convert from programs like mnemosyne) - or you can simply make your own. The other is an ereader program called iReader (version 1.0.9.5, I think - the earlier one won't do the trick), which can display txt and html files, among other formats. Again, they are both free, they both are capable of using fonts stored on the sd card, and they both are fairly full featured. On the downside, there is probably a little more learning curve to them than something as basic as Remata. Still, if I had known about these two programs months ago, I could have saed what few hairs remain on my head. (But then I wouldn't have had all the fun (?) of trying to figure out tome of this stuff.) One final remark - AnyMemo will even speak the cards for you. How's that? (Well, I can't get that feature to work on my cheapie little tablets, but it does work on my android emulator.)

Antonios
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Antonios »

Too bad the 'droid isn't more hospitable to ancient greek. Also too bad that flashcard program makers can't be more up-front about what languages they support and don't (don't they have specs that tell them this stuff?) I've been through several programs so far only to find out that it wasn't the program that sucked, but the OS that won't support the characters. And very little information out there as to why this is the case. Apple has no problems with this at all, which means I'll still have to carry around my iPod for flashcard use until the android developers get it together.

BTW--I did try AnyMemo. It doesn't interface with Quizlet, but works well with FlashCardExchange. The font selection option seems to solve the diacritic problem quite nicely. The import options are a bit involved; the app's text import doesn't like the same text files I import to Quizlet, so there's an issue there. I may just have to upload everything to Flashcard Exchange and call it good. There are a lot of NT Greek Files there but not a lot of Attic or Homeric.
Last edited by Antonios on Tue May 31, 2011 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

edonnelly
Administrator

Post by edonnelly »

Antonios wrote:Too bad the 'droid isn't more hospitable to ancient greek. Also too bad that flashcard program makers can't be more up-front about what languages they support and don't (don't they have specs that tell them this stuff?) I've been through several programs so far only to find out that it wasn't the program that sucked, but the OS that won't support the characters. And very little information out there as to why this is the case. Apple has no problems with this at all, which means I'll still have to carry around my iPod for flashcard use until the android developers get it together.
How can you conclude it's an operating system issue when there are multiple reports above with Android programs using unicode and ancient Greek just fine?
The lists:

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Post by jaihare »

Download "Fontomizer" from the Android Market. It's a free app. Install it. Open it and choose the Ubuntu-TTF font. Download and install it.

Go into Settings > Display > Font Style and choose Ubuntu. It displays polytonic Greek fantastically. :)

Just discovered the Ubuntu font on there today. It's nice to read through the forums and see every polytonic character! It doesn't seem to support Latin macrons, though. Nothing's perfect.

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Post by jaihare »

Just did a secondary check for support of macrons, and the Ubuntu font does support them. It all looks beautiful on my Galaxy S phone with Android 2.2. :-)

TrevorB
Textkit Neophyte

Post by TrevorB »

jaihare wrote:Just did a secondary check for support of macrons, and the Ubuntu font does support them. It all looks beautiful on my Galaxy S phone with Android 2.2. :-)
I just installed Ubuntu font as you advise on my new Galaxy mini and it works perfectly. The default font did not display the diacrits, but Ubuntu does.

Many thanks indeed

Trevor

acguitarplayer
Textkit Neophyte

Post by acguitarplayer »

Depending on what you're wanting to do with the text, the free version Logos on Android has a copy of the SBL Greek NT that displays without anything external to the app. I've been happy with that as a pocket Greek NT.

pastorjohnperling
Textkit Neophyte

Post by pastorjohnperling »

Great work on this thread guys, i never would have thought that free apps with plenty of features would get some of this done for me.

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Post by jaihare »

acguitarplayer wrote:Depending on what you're wanting to do with the text, the free version Logos on Android has a copy of the SBL Greek NT that displays without anything external to the app. I've been happy with that as a pocket Greek NT.
Yeah, I love the SBL Greek font. I also use Logos on my Galaxy S (first generation) to read the GNT. :)

edmondsr
Textkit Neophyte

Post by edmondsr »

The Logos app also has free access to the entire Perseus library in Greek, Latin and English. Dictionary lookups, however, work relatively well for the Greek, but not so well in Latin, unfortunately. Something to build upon for later releases, I suppose...

asecsc4
Textkit Neophyte

Post by asecsc4 »

So, how do I install the SBL font on my Samsung Android phone?

thanks
christos

Antonios
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Antonios »

edonnelly wrote:
Antonios wrote:Too bad the 'droid isn't more hospitable to ancient greek. Also too bad that flashcard program makers can't be more up-front about what languages they support and don't (don't they have specs that tell them this stuff?) I've been through several programs so far only to find out that it wasn't the program that sucked, but the OS that won't support the characters. And very little information out there as to why this is the case. Apple has no problems with this at all, which means I'll still have to carry around my iPod for flashcard use until the android developers get it together.
How can you conclude it's an operating system issue when there are multiple reports above with Android programs using unicode and ancient Greek just fine?
I havent' really "concluded" anything of the kind, other than the fact that MY instance of the OS (a Verizon Droid Incredible 2) does not allow me to install additional fonts (like you can on a desktop OS). iOS doesn't either, but it doesn't need to--it supports it automatically!

And, in any event I "conclude" this because the the developers themselves (or at least their advisers) told me so. I submitted this as an "issue" to Google last year and here is the response I received from an advisor to their development team:
Comment #2 on issue 26037 by emmanoue...@gmail.com: Support for Polytonic Greek (and/or other languages that should be UTF-8 enabled)
http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=26037

I reported the issue to the Ascender Team (1st September 2011) and both Brian Kraimer and Steve Kuhlman answered that they passed my comments to the development team. After seven months (10th April 2012), having seen no results and already moved to android 4.0, I contacted again the Ascender Team, and Steve Kuhlman answered that they did pass my comments along to the development team at Google and that it's up to up to Google to determine which languages get supported and when they role that out (The Ascender Team can only provide input). It's a shame that ancient greek language is still not supported by Google Android. Browsing pages with Greek polytonic (extended) content show the unsupported characters like boxes (if not missing completely). Trouble seems to exist with Google Drive and other document apps (such as documents to go, even though the in-app-font Arial Unicode MS supports greek extended). Multiling keyboard supports writing Greek polytonic but android system does not support viewing. Why should I have to root my device in order to read ancient greek on my device? Please update the Roboto and DroidSerif fonts with Greek extended, so that this embarrassing issue seizes to exist.
So, it's not really important whether, technically speaking, it's an "operating system" issue or not. The fact is that the "operating system" does not come loaded on at least some of our phones with the capability of displaying polytonic fonts WITHOUT having to either specify a font set (which none of the browsers allow you to do anyway) or rooting the phone. I am not going to root my phone to prove that it's not an OS issue! And yes, I can change the font on Anymemo to display polytonic greek. However, I do NOT have to do this on my iPod. If that's not an OS issue, then what is? Whether or not the OS is capable of it is really isn't very useful if you have to install special apps just to display a font.

And for the record, Fontomizer does not work on my phone. The only Fontomizer I get is some Galaxy affair. And even if is installing an ubuntu font, it's not getting me any farther in displaying diacritics on the Perseus Project pages (which display just fine under iOS.)

So, that's how I draw my conclusions. If I've overlooked something, I would be open to any constructive assistance to make this work. I would also urge anyone else who has experienced similar issues to log their concerns directly with Google. I suspect they're not doing anything about it because not enough people are telling them.

korhoj
Textkit Neophyte

Re: greek text on android (updated 2012-Oct-21)

Post by korhoj »

I have written instructions how to install the Greek compatible, free font files from New Athena Unicode 4.05 into a Samsung Galaxy S II ICS (4.0.x) phone. See http://personal.inet.fi/koti/korhoj/android/

I don't trust Fontomizer. I cannot fathom why it requires the permission "Directly call phone numbers"?! Does it want to call some foreign number or what? The permission "Full internet access" should be enough to fetch files from Internet. At least the 05-Oct-2011 v. named Fontimizer SP(Font for Galaxy) in the Play Store asks for the aforementioned permission.

A manual procedure for replacing Android's system font with a better one:

Root your phone (see http://personal.inet.fi/koti/korhoj/and ... oting.html)
Install the fonts (see http://personal.inet.fi/koti/korhoj/android/fonts.html):
Download NAU or any TTF fonts you know to work with Greek
Rename the regular, bold, italic and bold/italic variants to Roboto-Regular.ttf, Roboto-Bold.ttf, Roboto-Italic.ttf and Roboto-BoldItalic.ttf
Copy *.ttf to any regular folder in the phone
Install Android Terminal Emulator by Jack Palevich from Google Play (or use adb)
Backup the default fonts from the phone folder /system/fonts to any regular folder
Copy the new Roboto*.ttf fonts into /system/fonts
Restart the phone

I also tried rooting the phone and uploading the ttf files with their original names into /system/fonts but FlipFont didn't detect them.

One would think there was an easier way to change fonts e.g. via an API but I haven't found one. Android API seems to protect /system as it can be also be used to other "root" things which perhaps do need to be limited somewhat.

Cheers,
Joel

Veteropinguis
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Veteropinguis »

Does anyone know if there's been further progress on this? It's rather inconvenient to have to risk bricking one's (rather expensive) device just to use a particular font.

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Post by jaihare »

Veteropinguis wrote:Does anyone know if there's been further progress on this? It's rather inconvenient to have to risk bricking one's (rather expensive) device just to use a particular font.
I've semi-bricked my Note 2 today trying to solve the problem through rooting and installing a Font Installer app. It's in a bootloop, and I'm doing all I can to resolve it. Android has really screwed us with this.

Lodge your complaint on our open issue thread: https://code.google.com/p/android/issue ... l?id=26037

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Post by jaihare »

OK, so my phone wasn't bricked. It was in a bootloop. I was able to flash it with the original ROM and release it from the loop, then I installed another ROM (Jedi Master). I've taken care of the font display disaster by using the application Root Explorer and replacing the various Roboto fonts (the defaults) with a Unicode-compliant font.

I can now see all polytonic Greek, though I cannot type in polytonic Greek (yet?).

This is from my computer:

Δοκῶ μοι περὶ ὧν πυνθάνεσθε οὐκ ἀμελέτητος εἶναι· καὶ γὰρ ἐτύγχανον πρώην εἰς ἄστυ οἴκοθεν ἀνιὼν Φαληρόθεν· τῶν οὖν γνωρίμων τις ὄπισθεν κατιδών με πόῤῥωθεν ἐκάλεσε, καὶ παίζων ἅμα τῇ κλήσει· Ὦ Φαληρεύς, ἔφη, οὗτος Ἀπολλόδωρος, οὐ περιμένεις; κἀγὼ ἐπιστὰς περιέμεινα· καὶ ὅς·

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Post by jaihare »

This is a screenshot of the above post from my phone (Samsung Galaxy Note 2) using Google Chrome browser. It actually looks better than it does on my computer's browser (since I hate the default font that Textkit uses).

NateD26
Textkit Zealot

Post by NateD26 »

Are all these solutions only for Samsung Galaxy phones?
What if I have a cheap-ass (but perfectly suitable for my needs) AKAI tablet
running Androind 4.0.3 and I want to display polytonic Greek? I've tried setting the font
encoding in my browser to UTF-8 but I still cannot view diacritics.

AnkiDroid with the added font (FreeSerif) installed does not display the diacritics in the flashcards.

Any help is appreciated.
Nate.

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Post by jaihare »

NateD26 wrote:Are all these solutions only for Samsung Galaxy phones?
What if I have a cheap-ass (but perfectly suitable for my needs) AKAI tablet
running Androind 4.0.3 and I want to display polytonic Greek? I've tried setting the font
encoding in my browser to UTF-8 but I still cannot view diacritics.

AnkiDroid with the added font (FreeSerif) installed does not display the diacritics in the flashcards.

Any help is appreciated.
Hi, Nate. Have you found a solution? I would search Google for a way to root the AKAI tablet. It's Android, right? If so, you should be able to access system fonts when rooted.

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

I've posted on Google's Nexus product forums: https://productforums.google.com/forum/ ... zJajK-J9IJ

If anyone else wants to jump in, we may be able to get this fixed. I could also try to leverage some of my Google contacts.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Post by jaihare »

I've responded there. We need to get other people to weigh in on it. Send EVERYONE you know there. Android will do nothing unless they know that it's something that people insist on and that people will move to other platforms if no response is forthcoming.

NateD26
Textkit Zealot

Post by NateD26 »

jaihare wrote:Hi, Nate. Have you found a solution? I would search Google for a way to root the AKAI tablet. It's Android, right? If so, you should be able to access system fonts when rooted.
Hi, Jason. Thanks for responding. An AKAI tablet -- excuse my french -- isn't worth the goddamn
200nis I've paid for it, even if that's a cheap-ass tablet from a low-quality seemingly unknown company.
I've exchanged the tablet three times in the store since I've bought it, and I gave up afterwards.
I've used it mostly to record my classes in college, but then it croaked as well. I've managed to back
them up and I now just leave it off. It makes a nice coaster though. :D
Nate.

Engeres
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Engeres »

I think you can download and install it from Android application store.

catomic
Textkit Neophyte

Post by catomic »

Firefox Browser for Android worked just fine on one of my Android devices.

"Working just fine" means displaying classical Greek text with all the pronunciation marks. The text I use is simple HTML files that I code by hand. I create them in Windows 7 as *.txt files (using UTF-8 encoding) and, when done, simply change the extension from 'txt' to 'htm'. (I suspect Firefox may be able to display *.txt files too, without even HTML tagging, though I haven't tried it.)

The Android device for which it "works fine" is my Nook HD. It's not rooted; I installed no special font. To view the HTML file, I navigate to it in ES File Explorer File Manager (an app) and click it and choose to use Firefox. You may have to long-press the file (in ES File Explorer File Manager) until a check mark appears to the right, click the "More" button at the bottom, then "Open As" and finally choose Firefox.

It's my first posting.
This method does not work on my Samsung Galaxy Player GB1. (If anyone can tell me what I need to do to my GB1 so it works too, it'd be great!)

UPDATE
I am adding the following bit on 12 FEB 2015.

I also got my Samsung Galaxy Player to display polytonic Greek font in Firefox, by following the directions on this page:

https://ruruminations.wordpress.com/201 ... r-browser/

Notes on my experience:

- The page recommends using "Firefox for Android Beta app" rather than "Firefox for Android." I ignored this and just went with the latter.

- The page at one point says, "If you simply want polytonic Greek text to be readable, but aren't necessarily fussy about it being just so," then you could stop at that point, but otherwise go on. I stopped at that point, but still found the display to be just so. (I don't know how much more "just so" it's going to get if I got fussy.)

- Basically, you only have to understand the few lines of instructions between "To install" and "If you simply want...." and follow them.

orrinwinton
Textkit Neophyte

Post by orrinwinton »

Here's my Android experience with polytonic Greek:

Toshiba Thrive tablet, Android 4.0.4, Firefox browser: polytonic will not display, and Toshiba is not going to issue any android updates for this device, so it's obsolete.

Samsung Galaxy Note3, Android 4.4.4, Firefox browser: polytonic displays, but of course there's no polytonic keyboard.

So I bought a HP Windows 8.1 tablet, and of course I can both read & write polytonic Greek.

Orrin.

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Post by jaihare »

orrinwinton wrote:Here's my Android experience with polytonic Greek:

Toshiba Thrive tablet, Android 4.0.4, Firefox browser: polytonic will not display, and Toshiba is not going to issue any android updates for this device, so it's obsolete.

Samsung Galaxy Note3, Android 4.4.4, Firefox browser: polytonic displays, but of course there's no polytonic keyboard.

So I bought a HP Windows 8.1 tablet, and of course I can both read & write polytonic Greek.

Orrin.
Thanks, Orrin.

I rooted my Galaxy Grand DUOS (running Android 4.1.2) and installed fonts that support polytonic Greek. My phone now displays everything perfectly both in Serif and Sans options. I have no keyboard for writing polytonic Greek, of course.

I also went the way of Windows for my tablet. I have a Windows Surface (RT) that has a polytonic Greek keyboard on it.

I made the decision a while back not to go with Android for a tablet, since they were doing NOTHING to correct this issue. If they don't support us and our interests, why should we support their interests? In order not to void my warranty in order to view Greek properly, my next telephone will probably not be an Android either. It's bad, since I want to be a supporter of the Open Source project and to devote money to Android development, but the developers are apparently not interested in our specific area of the geek continuum.

yutama
Textkit Neophyte

Post by yutama »

While searching for add-ons, I saw that Firefox for Android has plugins for fallback fonts, e.g. for Khmer and Burmese (but not Polytonic Greek).
I tried them and Burmese and Khmer displayed in Firefox. No rootiing done.
So, technically it shouldn't be that hard to have a Polytonic Greek version with the Ubuntu font.