Elephants

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Pete
Textkit Neophyte

Elephants

Post by Pete »

Episcopus, shall I buy a pet elephant?

And Klewlis, where do you get used classics books in Ontario? Currently I am looking around for an Oxford Latin Dictionary, and obviously, the new price (~$460 CAN) is discouraging. Therefore tell me of your secret haunts.
Last edited by Pete on Sun May 16, 2004 4:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.

klewlis
Global Moderator

Re: Oxford Latin Dictionary

Post by klewlis »

Pete wrote:Where do you get used classics books in Ontario? Currently I am looking around for an Oxford Latin Dictionary, and obviously, the new price (~$460 CAN) is discouraging. Therefore tell me of your secret haunts.
There's a great store in Regina called "Centennial Books" which has a lot of classics stuff and ships nation-wide. I don't know if they'd have that particular one, but it would be worth a shot. Their number is (306) 525-4910. If they don't have it they can probably tell you where to find it. Also check out abebooks.com
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Were you really dedicated to the classics you would buy it.

Spero iocum tibi placuisse namque meus haud est quaquam tanti de quo quanti tu nos alloquere. Non est necessitas tantum librum nanciscendi nisi plurimum possis parvo e libro tenere memoria. Verborum decemne milia cognoscis? Ne unius quidem num es oblitus? Harundinemne possidet corpus archepiscopum? Quare nondum "Collins Latin Dictionary" emisti?
Forsan etiam possis ab Stephenis domo illum praeripere. A fumo tamen evade. Atque noli lectum tangere eius.

Pete
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Pete »

Shall I buy a pet Elephant?
Were you really dedicated to the classics you would buy it.
I see. But what if my interests lie in language, rather than warefare and elephants and such? Will it still help?

And how much do elephants cost? Tell me how to get a cheap one!! Condescend as you will, but if I knew of cheap places nearby, I wouldn't hide them from you. But I beg you, Episcopus, to tell me--who is Stephen, anyway? Is he a bookseller or your boyfriend?
Last edited by Pete on Sun May 16, 2004 4:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Pete wrote:Condescend as you will, but if I knew of cheap places nearby, I wouldn't hide them from you. But I beg you, Episcopus, to tell me--who is Stephen, anyway? Is he a bookseller or your boyfriend?
Heh heh heh

OEpiscope, elocutio tibi data superis a deis, iam tibi afflicta est. Si quis 'praereptor' et carissimae amatissimum librum illum Oxoniensis eripere meum temptabit, pede meo ad nates nucesque dolebit. Pro locuto et tu meritus es poenae illius. Hic 'fumus', quam ridiculus; ingessero pulmoni ne quid evadendum. Etenim cur (miror) eum deterreas ne lectum meum tacturus sit? Vero enim Episcopus quidem deiectus lectum esse suum clamavit...

By the way, when I was searching for the O.L.D., there were several sites ( www.alibris.com , www.abebooks.com ) that were offering much cheaper versions than the new one. The older ones are contained in fascicles rather than being combined into a single hefty but reasonable volume like the newest edition. These versions are considerably cheaper, but there is the game of trying to find all the fascicles because no one seems to have them all! Also, many people are well aware of the value of this item and you will have a hard time finding it for a decent price anywhere. I do enjoy mine, but it is of little practicality except when searching for a rare word or an unusual meaning. It is also very good for quotations, but I am very much disappointed with the lack of any English-Latin section.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

eris
Textkit Member

Post by eris »

Pete--I am unfamiliar with the bookstores in Ontario, but perhaps the following website will help you in your quest:

http://www.sightquest.com/shopping/bookstores-18376.htm

It has many links to on-line bookstores (new & used).

I don't know if it would be worth purchasing, but perhaps the book that's listed on the following website may be at the local library for perusal?

http://www.bookhunterpress.com/index.cg ... d=WabzXUme

I have purchased books from alibris.com a couple of times and was quite happy with their service and the price of the books. Some of their prices are high, but that's when you have to be a savvy shopper :)

Good luck in your search!

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

I seriously do not know about Stephen, I recall him being a neutron. I'm happily the stable Carbon 12 isotope :wink: I'm offended that you assumed me to be unstable on account of my queer way of expression. :(

Don't be so harsh on yourself! The Latin there was part of a joke, it is far less harsh and was an intended ...comical paradox of what I ignorantly said in English. I am an absolute loser in Latin! Always there are poems which I don't understand for want of vocabulary, and Stephen will be thus if he just admit it! I don't bother looking words up because my intensive course has included so much thereof that I become bored. The best thing though is knowing the tongue of the Romans, and I enjoy reading the account of the Boudicca battle in the original of which we have heard so much. What I don't like is people who don't admit to weaknesses, which every one has. Mine is vocabulary because it's so boring to learn words which I don't really want, and learning them quickly and efficiently involves vast word lists.

I prefer a nice unique personal style, and I do admit, Stephen has that.

Pete
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Pete »

Don't be so harsh on yourself! The Latin there was part of a joke...
What??? A joke? I already cleared my backyard and bought a truckload of peanuts.

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Omnes hic sciunt num sit elephantus quidam tibi emendus nequaquam primo fuisse interrogationem! Quid me oderas tantum ut iocum mihi inferres? Responsum quidem meum Latine non tibi nocuisset si modo intellexisses! :cry: Inferum erat factum, ne umquam quidem ignoscendum! At addam te non dignum possidendo esse nec elephanto nec Papae struthiocamelo!