Articular Demonstratives

Are you learning Koine Greek, the Greek of the New Testament and most other post-classical Greek texts? Whatever your level, use this forum to discuss all things Koine, Biblical or otherwise, including grammar, textbook talk, difficult passages, and more.
Geoff
Textkit Fan

Articular Demonstratives

Post by Geoff »

I can't find any articular Demonstratives in the NT and so far none of the grammars I've looked at discuss that use. Are there any such uses in other koine, attic, et al writings and if so what would be their signifigance?

I'm comparing the uses of autos and the demonstratives

klewlis
Global Moderator

Re: Articular Demonstratives

Post by klewlis »

Geoff wrote:I can't find any articular Demonstratives in the NT and so far none of the grammars I've looked at discuss that use. Are there any such uses in other koine, attic, et al writings and if so what would be their signifigance?

I'm comparing the uses of autos and the demonstratives
I'm not familiar with the term "articular demonstrative". What is it?
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Geoff
Textkit Fan

Post by Geoff »

I meant a demonstrative pronoun immediately preceded by the definite article (i.e. attributive position)

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

oh!

Wallace says:
"The article is used with the demonstratives in predicate position to indicate attributive function. Demonstratives cannot stand in attributive position (e.g., between the article and noun). If they are related to an anarthrous noun, they function independently, as pronouns. Only when they are in predicate position to an articular noun can demonstratives be considered dependent and attributive." (p241)

I don't know why it *cannot* be used in the attributive position, or whether that applies to classical as well... perhaps someone else here can shed some light.
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Geoff
Textkit Fan

Post by Geoff »

Thanks Klewlis

I've never seen any uses where the article went with that pronoun, and didn't suspect any. I couldn't get logos to return any, but I'm not great at running searches. The notes from Wallace are useful.

Kopio
Global Moderator

Post by Kopio »

I only found one occurence with a Gramcord search.....Luke 22:23.

Hope this helps

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

I don't think that Luke 22:23 is an example of a demonstrative in an attributive position.
[size=150]καὶ αὐτοὶ ἤρξαντο συζητεῖν πρὸς ἑαυτοὺς τὸ τίς ἄρα εἴη ἐξ αὐτῶν ὁ τοῦτο μέλλων πράσσειν[/size].
ὁ and τοῦτο don't refer to the same thing. The one is masc. the other neut.
I think that τοῦτο is a substantive here meaning, this thing ie, the betrayal.
ὁ maybe refers to τίς ? So that it becomes:"....the one who....

I have no idea what to do with τὸ. Does it go with τοῦτο?

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Skylax »

Bert wrote:I don't think that Luke 22:23 is an example of a demonstrative in an attributive position.
I agree with you

The ὁ goes with μέλλων :
ὁ μέλλων = "the one who is (or : was) on the point to..."
I have no idea what to do with τὸ. Does it go with τοῦτο?
In my mind, this τὸ makes the indirect question a kind of substantive : they ask the (question) "who would it be"