Ancient Greek Resources in Ancient Greek

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
bedwere
Global Moderator

Ancient Greek Resources in Ancient Greek

Post by bedwere »

Inspired by Theocritus's post, I'm listing here some resources to learn Ancient Greek in Ancient Greek:

Διονυσίου τοῦ Θραικὸς τέχνη γραμματική

Theodosii Alexandrini Grammatica

Γραμματικὴ Κωνσταντίνου Λασκάρεως

Ἡ κατ'ἐπιτομὴν γραμματικὴ ὑπὸ Νεοφύτου Δούκα.

Do you have more to suggest? I limited myself to books printed in the XIX century and later, since I found more complex ligatures in earlier books hard to decipher.

Σαυλος
Textkit Fan

Re: Ancient Greek Resources in Ancient Greek

Post by Σαυλος »

Bedwere, Could you give a description of these links?
I will babble until I talk. ετι λαλαγω...

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: Ancient Greek Resources in Ancient Greek

Post by bedwere »

I'm not a scholar, just an amator, but here you are! :D

Dionysius Thrax provided "Art of Grammar", the first extant Greek grammar (1st Century B.C.). Here are collected scholia to his work.

Theodosius of Alexandria was a IV century A.D. grammarian. Scholia by the 9th-century Byzantine grammarian George Choiroboskos.

Constantine Lascaris (1434 – 1501) was a Byzantine scholar who lived in exile after the fall of the city. There's also another famous grammar by another Renaissance scholar Theodorus of Gaza (c. 1398 – c. 1475), but I couldn't find a relatively easy to read edition of it.

Neophytos Doukas (1760-1845) was a Greek priest and an ultra-purist in the dispute in the Greek language question.