Help with Translation

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
BugBear89
Textkit Neophyte

Help with Translation

Post by BugBear89 »

Hello People,

The journey had been long and difficult.

They stayed in Rome for seven years; then Flaccus decided to return home.

Flaccus returned to Venusia; Quintus left Italy and sailed to Athens.

Quintus stayed in Athens for a long time.

Thanks
BugBear
Last edited by BugBear89 on Thu May 06, 2004 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

phil
Textkit Fan

Post by phil »

Strewth Alistair, Welcome to the forum and everything, but you need to give us some idea how far you've got already - the people here are only too happy to help you with your Latin, but I doubt you'll find anyone that's just going to translate for you.
Cheers
Phil (from across the pond)

BugBear89
Textkit Neophyte

Post by BugBear89 »

I have started the 1st sentence and have got this far

Flacuss et Quintus domo discesserunt, sed Scintilla et Horatia (i now need to do in Venusia stayed.)

Sorry I have only done alatin fro 2.5 weeks so yeah

strider1551
Textkit Neophyte

Post by strider1551 »

(i now need to do in Venusia stayed.)
"in Venusia stayed"

Start with "in Venusia". This is just a simple prepositional phrase. I'm sure you know the Latin equivalent to "in" (hint: it looks very similar); it has two basic meanings depending on what case you put its object in. Ask yourself what case gives the meaning you want and then put "Venusia" in that case.

Now for "stayed". Find your subject and you will know the person and number. It's also going to be active voice and indicative (if you have learned any moods yet, but you probably don't have to worry about it). Next determine the tense. It's obviously a past tense, so think what would be the right Latin equivalent (I don't know how many you have gotton to in only two and a half weeks). Throw the ingredients together, find your ending, and you have it!

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

strider1551 wrote:
(i now need to do in Venusia stayed.)
"in Venusia stayed"

Start with "in Venusia". This is just a simple prepositional phrase. I'm sure you know the Latin equivalent to "in" (hint: it looks very similar); it has two basic meanings depending on what case you put its object in. Ask yourself what case gives the meaning you want and then put "Venusia" in that case.
You may not have got to this yet, but "in Venusia" uses the locative case instead of a preposition. No matter, this guy obviously has a very sadistic teacher.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Moerus
Textkit Fan

Post by Moerus »

Hello People,

The journey had been long and difficult.

They stayed in Rome for seven years; then Flaccus decided to return home.

Flaccus returned to Venusia; Quintus left Italy and sailed to Athens.

Quintus stayed in Athens for a long time.

Thanks
BugBear

Salvete homines,

Iter longum atque difficile fuerat. Septem annos Romae erant; tum Flaccus domum redire statuit. Flaccus Venusiam rediit; Quintus Italia profectus est et Athenas navigavit. Quintus Athenis diu manebat.

---

Aliquine adiutor has sententias, quaero, convertere possit, in quibus casus difficilius mihi intelligendi sunt, etc. et nil aliud mihi est,

Gratias,

Ursus Bug

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Magistri me eius piget, non solum inaccurate monuit sed etiam sicut whiteoctave sesesese gessit (mino autem intelligentiae, plure licentiae). Perdant.

BugBear89
Textkit Neophyte

Post by BugBear89 »

Please enlighten me what was just written :)