Goodwin's Greek Grammar

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Thucydides
Textkit Fan

Goodwin's Greek Grammar

Post by Thucydides »

Just aquired this b/c it was interesting and cheap. I've got a 1951 MacMillan edition.

Any particular strenghts/weakness/caveats for this book? So far it seems to lack any mention of abluat (e.g. when dicussing leipw/elipon style verbs)

Thucydides

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

Goodwin is famous for his syntax, verbal in particular. I use Smyth nearly exclusively, but I'll still consult Goodwin when I need more examples for some syntax question.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

Thucydides
Textkit Fan

Post by Thucydides »

What exactly is "verbal" syntax? I thought syntax was the arrangement of words in sentences and constructions?

PeterD
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by PeterD »

Hi Thucydides,

Syntax is the grammatical arrangement or form of words in sentences according to the established rules or usage in any language.

In the Greek language, the function of words -- syntax -- is not indicated by word order in a sentence per se. For example, whereas English uses word order to differentiate between the subject, direct object and indirect object , Greek uses different endings.

Similarly, a verb's mood basically indicates its function in the sentence. For example, a Greek verb in a purpose clause must be in the subjunctive(optative) mood if the verb in the principle clause is in the present (past) tense.

Take care,

PeterD
Fanatical ranting is not just fine because it's eloquent. What if I ranted for the extermination of a people in an eloquent manner, would that make it fine? Rather, ranting, be it fanatical or otherwise, is fine if what is said is true and just. ---PeterD, in reply to IreneY and Annis

chad
Textkit Zealot

Post by chad »

your post is right peter, but since we're talking about greek at a structural level i'd just qualify that last sentence
a Greek verb in a purpose clause must be in the subjunctive(optative) mood if the verb in the principle clause is in the present (past) tense.
unless you use:

[size=150]ο3πως[/size] + future indicative with precaution verbs
[size=150]ι3να[/size] + past indicative for unfulfilled purpose
future participle
others which thompson gives in greek prose usage: infinitive, relative pronoun, genitive article + infinitive. :)