Translation help for James 2:14

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Chester
Textkit Neophyte

Translation help for James 2:14

Post by Chester »

I have read that the last part of James 2:14 should read either "can faith save him" or "can the faith save him" as opposed to "can that faith save him" or "can such faith save him" etc.

What is the correct translation for this verse?

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

The text itself is not as specific as some might like. I would say that for the meaning of the verse, something like "the faith that he has" or "his faith", since the first part of the verse talks about someone having faith. The second part literally says only "the faith" but it doesn't mean "the faith" like we would use today, as in the Christian faith in general... it is talking specifically of that person's faith (in my opinion).
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Chester
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Chester »

Thank you klewlis.

Now for my next question: Does the second part refer to his claimed faith, i.e. the faith that he claims to have but doesn't actually have or to his faith that he actually has?

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

Chester wrote:Thank you klewlis.

Now for my next question: Does the second part refer to his claimed faith, i.e. the faith that he claims to have but doesn't actually have or to his faith that he actually has?
It's hard to say because the text is not that specific. It is a judgment call of the reader.

My impression is that it is referring to the faith that he claims to have... he may or may not have any faith but he is *saying* he has faith, but is not following through, and so *that* faith cannot save him.
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus