Harrius Potter et Philosophi Lapis

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Mansella
Textkit Neophyte

Harrius Potter et Philosophi Lapis

Post by Mansella »

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... 6443825<br /><br />Hmm, I'm a little dubious about this. I wonder how well it translates and handles things like vernacular and new vocabulary. Also, JKR's Latin puns will become a little obvious (Prof. Lupin might as well be renamed Mr. Warewolf) and pointing a wand at a locked door and shouting 'aperto' is far more dramatic that simply 'open'. Any thoughts?

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Re:Harrius Potter et Philosophi Lapis

Post by Episcopus »

sugèbit

Mansella
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Mansella »

liber "harrius potter" iter facere domi.<br /><br />okay, I don't know the dative case yet, and the verb for travelling looks a little strange. I'm trying to say:<br /><br /> the harry potter book is on the way to my house (right now via amazon). <br /><br />please help!<br /><br />[I'm very excited about this. :) ]<br /><br />Also, I am confused by this sentence <br /><br />"Harrius Potter et philosophi lapis".<br /><br />I understand that Harrius Potter is the subject of the sentence and that philosophi is a second declension genetive singular noun, but I'm confused by lapis. isn't lapis in the nominative singular case (3rd decl.) when it should be in the accusative case?

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Lapis is in the nominative case... there's no verb, because it's just a title. There isn't any need for an ablative unless "Harrius Potter" is doing something to the "lapis". <br /><br />Philosophi= philosopher's (gen.)<br />Lapis= stone (nom.)
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Mansella
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Mansella »

Thank you. Sorry, I was being thick. Of course it's not accusative because there is no verb!

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Also, Episcope, non suget (suget= will suck).
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito »

[quote author=Mansella link=board=3;threadid=271;start=0#1686 date=1058753007]<br />liber "harrius potter" iter facere domi.<br /><br />okay, I don't know the dative case yet, and the verb for travelling looks a little strange. I'm trying to say:<br />[/quote]<br /><br />The verb for travelling might make a little more sense if you break it into two parts - facere = to make/do, and iter = a journey, so the book is making a journey. You've got facere in the infinitive there, and it does need a conjugation, but you're doing fine.<br /><br />[quote author=Mansella link=board=3;threadid=271;start=0#1686 date=1058753007]<br /> the harry potter book is on the way to my house (right now via amazon). <br /><br />please help!<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Try this: "Liber 'Harrius Potter' domum iter facit." (Or "domum meam iter facit.")<br /><br />"domus" is a special case word.... When you're saying that something is going to most places, you use "ad" + the accusative of the place to which you're going. Domus is one of the exceptions, and it simply shows up in the accusative without the "ad".<br /><br />Kilmeny

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

[quote author=benissimus link=board=3;threadid=271;start=0#1692 date=1058759162]<br />Also, Episcope, non suget (suget= will suck).<br />[/quote]<br /><br />eheu! it's not a short e 3rd conj is it?! <br /><br />so sugõ, sugis, sugit, sugimus, sugitis, sugunt ?? <br /><br />It looks trucking chinese!

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

It's third conjugation, or else it would have to be sugeo, sugere. You can tell even without the macrons ;) Also, third and fourth conjugations have a different way of creating tenses (yay!).

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito »

[quote author=benissimus link=board=3;threadid=271;start=0#1744 date=1058830988]<br />Also, third and fourth conjugations have a different way of creating tenses (yay!).<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Careful! You'll scare him off! ;)<br /><br />Kilmeny