Family 35 (Kr) printing soon!

Are you learning Koine Greek, the Greek of the New Testament and most other post-classical Greek texts? Whatever your level, use this forum to discuss all things Koine, Biblical or otherwise, including grammar, textbook talk, difficult passages, and more.
uberdwayne
Textkit Fan

Family 35 (Kr) printing soon!

Post by uberdwayne »

Some great news, especially those who favor the byzantine manuscripts (as I do!):

I've been working with Dr. Wilbur Pickering to prepare his Greek text for printing as it appears in Family 35 (aka kr), hence my lack of recent posting, and if everything goes as planned, it will hopefully be available as a printed edition on Amazon by the end of this spring! It will also include a full apparatus that compares the text of many published editions as well as the great Uncials. This is truly, an indispensable work (regardless of textual preference) and I'm excited to see it come to print. :)

In the interim, Dr. Pickering will, very shortly, be publishing his Greek text as seen on his website (letter size format, and without accents) until the current work is completed.
μείζων ἐστὶν ὁ ἐν ὑμῖν ἢ ὁ ἐν τῷ κόσμῳ

Markos
Textkit Zealot

Re: Family 35 (Kr) printing soon!

Post by Markos »

It appears it is now out.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0989827321/ref=rdr_ext_tmb

Dwayne, I assume you have a copy. What is the font size? What is the binding like? How much does it depart from R.P.?

uberdwayne
Textkit Fan

Post by uberdwayne »

Χαιρε Μαρκε, φιλε μου!
It appears it is now out.
It is but it isn't, lol, the one that is out now is the preliminary printing, that is, essentially the "as is" PDF that is available at http://www.walkinhiscommandments.com/pickering2.htm. It does not have accents and is printed in 8.5 x 11. It is a Perfect bound soft cover book with what looks like 10pt font. The apparatus is very thorough!

I'm still working on proofreading and accenting with Mark, Luke, and John still to go. I'm hoping to be finished with the project by late spring (still have to add the apparatus to the entire NT), at which point the updated copy will have full accents and will be printed in a 6 x 9 book.

CSPMT ( http://www.cspmt.org ) has just recently opened a discussion forum, so if you have any further questions about f35, they would be answered there :)

As far as your question goes, There are about 1000 variants between RP and f35 http://www.cspmt.org/pdf/collations/RP%20]%20Kr_fam.%2035.pdf. Most noteably the PA which has the M7 profile for F35 (instead of m5) and the Kr text base instead of Kx.

Markos
Textkit Zealot

Post by Markos »

Hi Dwayne,

You guys might use this opportunity of printing a New Greek NT to fill one of the needs I feel we have had for a while. I'd like to see:

1. A giant print Greek New Testament. Why not a 24 point font?

2. We need a Byzantine type text printed on opposite pages with an Alexandrian type text. N.A. would probably not allow you to do this, but you could print Pickering's new text opposite Westcott Hort, which is in public domain. The way we are forced to compare the two text types now, in the standard printed versions, namely by looking at lower apparati, is annoying and it is hard to get a full picture of the differences.

3. It would be nice to see Pickering's new text printed on opposite pages to the King James Version or the New King James version. I myself no longer have need of a diglot, but I am just crazy about the KJV.

4. Print the new edition with a soft, fake leather flexible cover and light weight paper like you have in Zondervan's Reader's GNT. I love that book because it feels so good in your hand and you can fold it like a magazine and put it in your back pocket.

How much control do you have over the project? Any chance you could get some of these options produced?

uberdwayne
Textkit Fan

Post by uberdwayne »

Hi Markos,

You bring up some very interesting points, some that I would like to see, however, I am only the ‘editor’ and ‘formatter.’ Dr. Pickering is the one who spent years determining the text of F35 (Kr) and has the final say over the project. As of now, he wants his text available with full accentuation and 6 x 9 format. It will be a soft cover book as to keep down the costs of printing, and the page count will determine the size of the font. So far it is 11 pt. It may be adjusted either way once the apparatus is added.

Perhaps some day in the future these ideas could be implemented with permission :) (I especially like #3 and #4).

uberdwayne
Textkit Fan

Post by uberdwayne »

UPDATE: The text is essentially completed now. We are now in the the stage of proofreading the entire document, After which, it should be available as the "second edition" on amazon :) We're expecting completion in the early part of 2015 (somewhere around Jan and Feb)

uberdwayne
Textkit Fan

Post by uberdwayne »

Hi all, time for some shameless promotion!

Everything is now complete and the final work can be found on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Greek-New-Testame ... +pickering

The text has come out slightly over the 6 x 9 threshold so its slightly bigger, but has been reduced in size from its first edition. The text is now fully accented and is arranged much more nicely. Should you buy it and find any errors, please let me know :)

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Post by mwh »

From the Amazon page:

"For some time Dr. Pickering has felt that among the many hundreds of Greek manuscripts known to exist today, surely God would have preserved the original wording. … he has concluded that God used a certain line of transmission to preserve that wording.”

It is truly said that God works in mysterious ways.

uberdwayne
Textkit Fan

Post by uberdwayne »

mwh wrote:It is truly said that God works in mysterious ways.
I would agree with this statement, however, regardless of your theological standpoint, there is a lot of really good information in this volume. For one the Apparatus is fairly robust, and secondly F35 (Kr) is indeed the most cohesive grouping in the whole MS tradition also being the 2nd biggest grouping. Only Kx is larger, but it is nowehere near as cohesive. Either way, I believe Dr. Pickerings information to be well researched and carefully collated, regardless weather or not you agree with his conclusions.

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

I like it. If you are going to embrace Protestant Primitivism, which textual criticism is mostly an expression of, it's at least a self-consistent viewpoint. One can't always say that about the rest of the vast employment project.

Of course, someone like Stanley Hauerwas might say that you don't have access to inspired scripture no matter what languages you learn, no matter what manuscripts you dig up, if you aren't reading it under the direction of a religious community. And if reading under that direction, it's hard to imagine God not getting around a few copyist goofs or translation errors or sometimes even a tall tale or two. God might even be able to make Christianity happen among mostly illiterate peoples.

For him to make such communities happen, some would no doubt be given knowledge and talent and languages and manuscripts -- surely a misfortune compared to being given only a simple faith -- and the duty of teaching others, despite their own inadequacies. But I have no special insight to say whether that's how he does it or not.

However, I am interested in hearing more about Family 35 (Kr). What are its general characteristics, unique readings, manuscript history, etc.?
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

Markos
Textkit Zealot

Post by Markos »

mwh wrote:From the Amazon page:

"For some time Dr. Pickering has felt that among the many hundreds of Greek manuscripts known to exist today, surely God would have preserved the original wording. … he has concluded that God used a certain line of transmission to preserve that wording.”

It is truly said that God works in mysterious ways.
It seems to me more likely that God would have gone out of His way to make sure that the original wording was NOT preserved, because He did not want the Gospel to be viewed like the Koran. θησαυρός μέν, ἐν δὲ ὀστρακίνοις σκεύεσι.

Not that this isn't a fine project.

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Post by mwh »

A new thread, perhaps: What would God have done?

Pickering has made a career out of his answer. Now we wait for Markos to do the same. I reckon he has the stronger case.

uberdwayne
Textkit Fan

Post by uberdwayne »

Jeidsath wrote:"...if you aren't reading it under the direction of a religious community."
It could be argued that if one had the original wording of the text, that it still wouldn't be fully understood without the aid of the Holy Spirit.

Either way... F35...
Jeidsath wrote:However, I am interested in hearing more about Family 35 (Kr). What are its general characteristics, unique readings, manuscript history, etc.?

Family 35 is an interesting grouping, as I've mentioned earlier it is the second largest grouping of NT manuscripts (latest count puts it around 300). It contains the M7 PA profile (Von soden) and Hoskier's "C" text for the Apocalypse (for the most part). F35 is characterized by non Eusebian Marginalia and has a distinct usage of Aspiration. For example, Abraam in f35 MSS is typically Habraam. It appears that if aspiration occurs mid-word in a foreign transliteration, it was pushed to the beginning so as not to lose the phoneme as the "h" sound can only appear at the start of a Greek word. We begin to see F35 MSS from the XI century up until and after the invention of the press, Dr. Pickering argues that it can be traced further in his book "Identity of the New Testament Text IV". These manuscripts are typically found in various monasteries from the Mt. Athos region. F35 produces somewhere around 5000 variants from NU and about 1500 from RP.

Its most striking characteristic is that each manuscript is textually very close to each other, so much so, that a number of books match perfectly with the f35 archetype. There are perfect representatives from 22 of the 27 books of the NT, information about that is included in the volume.

student01
Textkit Neophyte

Post by student01 »

I am a student of the scriptures. Many years ago I was troubled by the differences in the KJV and some of the newer versions. I encountered the writings of John Burgon and read most of his books and became convinced that he spoke the truth.

Recently a friend who knew of my convictions wrote me and asked to discuss some things that she had heard in her Sunday School class. The Majority text had been treated poorly there. To answer her questions I did some reviewing of the issues and encountered the works of Dr. Pickering and his convictions about Family 35. As a result I am more deeply convinced than before that the best text is the Majority text.

But I have some questions that perhaps someone reading this could answer. I encountered some terms and expressions in what I read that I would like to understand better. In his 'Identity of the NT' Dr Pickering uses this statement: "1 and 13 are the smallest number in their families;" There is apparently some significance here that I am missing. Perhaps if I knew how and why the numbers were assigned I could understand. Another is that he refers to the profile of a manuscript. What is it and how is it created? Generally there are other terms that may have a meaning in the discipline of textual criticism that is some different from its normal use.

Are there some courses or books available that might answer these questions? Is there a person willing to discuss these matters? I have searched some but mostly have found explanations of the methods used by current scholars of how they make the decisions that they do, not an explanation of the terms that are used.

I would like to have a better grasp of the technical terms related to textual criticism.

Thanks for reading this,

Student01