shakespeare in latin?

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
hamlet
Textkit Neophyte

shakespeare in latin?

Post by hamlet »

Hello all,<br />just wondering if anyone knew if there are any translations of Shakespeare into Latin on the web? I'm sure some bored scholar has to have attempted it at least once. I'm looking for Macbeth specifically, the witches' songs. I'm directing the play next year & thought them singing in Latin might sound more fearsome & strange than the customary "eye of newt & toe of dog" mumbo-jumbo we're all used to & cringe to hear.<br />Thanks.

Mansella
Textkit Neophyte

Re:shakespeare in latin?

Post by Mansella »

I searched my library's engine (using keywords shakespeare + latin) and it came up with this:<br /><br />Title: Roman drama / Chapters by C.D.N. Costa ... [and others]; Edited by T.A. Dorey and Donald R. Dudley. <br />Publisher: London : Routledge & K. Paul, 1965. <br /><br />I also tried shakespeare + opus, but that yielded nothing. <br />BTW what is the plural nominative of opus? is it opi?

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Plural of opus is opera. It's a mischeivous third declension neuter that looks like a second declension masculine. Ah... the joys of Latin ;)
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Mansella
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Mansella »

so the declension would be:<br /><br />opus opera<br />opus opera<br />opus opera<br />operis operum<br />operi operibus<br />opere operibus<br /><br />?<br />(corrected the typo. thanks for pointing it out)

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Yes, but I think you made a typo, the genitive would be operis. You threw me off when you listed that vocative... hehe.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae