need help...! i really need to translate this..

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
fatty
Textkit Neophyte

need help...! i really need to translate this..

Post by fatty »

I have this huge problem. I can’t translate this text coz I can’t understand some of the words. Promise, I did try translating the text. Actually, I looked for the meanings of the words in the text so that I can understand some but still I can’t translate the whole text. Here are the words and their meanings:

Postquam (conj.) =after
Eo, ire, ivi, itus = go
Patrem (acc.) = father
Mortuus, -a. –um = dead
Orcus, -i, M. = the land of the dead
Animus, -i, M. =soul
Ibi (adv.) = there
Se (acc.) = him
Aenean (acc.) = Aeneas
Via = along the road
Laevus, -a, -um = left
Pater (nom.) = father
Dico, ere, dixi, dictus = say
Postea (adv.) afterward
Italia, -ae F. = Italy
Pacem (acc.) = peace

im just starting to study latin.. i really need help.. is there someone who can help me with this? here's the whole text:

Postquam Aeneas ab Africa vela dedit, sub terram ivit ut patrem mortuum videret. Ut in Orcum veniret, donum reginae Orci dedit. In Orco animos et laetos et miseros multorum mortuorum oculis vidit. Ibi reginam mortuam vidit et oravit ne se insidiarum damnaret, sed regina neque spectavit neque Aenean audivit. Aeneas via ambulavit; ad dextram erat ager laetorum, sed ad laevam errant animi malorum. In agrum laetorum venit et patrem vidit. Pater nato verba multa de vita et de Romanis cum venia dixit. Aeneas patrem audivit laetus. Postea ad Italiam vela dedit et ibi bellum cum incolis gessit. Et gladiis et saxis magna cum diligentia pugnaverunt. Aeneas cum turba incolas Italiae superavit et ab Aenea pacem petiverunt.

Please help me translate this.. thank u in advance!
:)

benissimus
Global Moderator

Re: need help...! i really need to translate this..

Post by benissimus »

fatty wrote:I have this huge problem. I can’t translate this text coz I can’t understand some of the words. Promise, I did try translating the text. Actually, I looked for the meanings of the words in the text so that I can understand some but still I can’t translate the whole text. Here are the words and their meanings:

Postquam (conj.) =after
Eo, ire, ivi, itus = go
Patrem (acc.) = father
Mortuus, -a. –um = dead
Orcus, -i, M. = the land of the dead
Animus, -i, M. =soul
Ibi (adv.) = there
Se (acc.) = him
Aenean (acc.) = Aeneas
Via = along the road
Laevus, -a, -um = left
Pater (nom.) = father
Dico, ere, dixi, dictus = say
Postea (adv.) afterward
Italia, -ae F. = Italy
Pacem (acc.) = peace

im just starting to study latin.. i really need help.. is there someone who can help me with this? here's the whole text:

Postquam Aeneas ab Africa vela dedit, sub terram ivit ut patrem mortuum videret. Ut in Orcum veniret, donum reginae Orci dedit. In Orco animos et laetos et miseros multorum mortuorum oculis vidit. Ibi reginam mortuam vidit et oravit ne se insidiarum damnaret, sed regina neque spectavit neque Aenean audivit. Aeneas via ambulavit; ad dextram erat ager laetorum, sed ad laevam errant animi malorum. In agrum laetorum venit et patrem vidit. Pater nato verba multa de vita et de Romanis cum venia dixit. Aeneas patrem audivit laetus. Postea ad Italiam vela dedit et ibi bellum cum incolis gessit. Et gladiis et saxis magna cum diligentia pugnaverunt. Aeneas cum turba incolas Italiae superavit et ab Aenea pacem petiverunt.

Please help me translate this.. thank u in advance!
:)
I am sorry, but this is not a legitimate request. You have done nothing more than copy the reading passage from chapter 3 of Moreland & Fleischer's Intensive Course along with the entire vocabulary. I am sorry if your request was genuine, but it is very rude to come here and on your first post to ask us to just translate what is probably your homework for you. You have not introduced yourself, you have not even tried to translate this as far as we can see.

If you do want to figure it out, try parsing the words. This is when you take a word, such as dedit, and classify it by number (singular/plural), person (1st/2nd/3rd), mood (indicative/imperative/subjunctive), tense (imperfect/present/perfect/etc.), voice (active/passive).

Thus, dedit would be parsed as:
Number: singular
Person: 3rd
Mood: indicative
Tense: perfect
Voice: active

Dedit (a form of dare) means "he gave", but because of the idiom vela dare, it means "he set sail". If you can show, by some attempt, that you understand how the Latin works and still cannot figure out the meaning, then we will be able to help you.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

MickeyV
Textkit Neophyte

Post by MickeyV »

benissime dictum. :D

tdominus
Textkit Member

Post by tdominus »

Postquam Aeneas ab Africa vela dedit, sub terram ivit ut patrem mortuum videret.

After Aeneas set sail from Africa, he went beneath the earth so that he would see his dead father.