sentences confirmation 2

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
caeruleus
Textkit Neophyte

sentences confirmation 2

Post by caeruleus »

[face=Verdana]Forum:

Note: Continuation of final seven sentences from initial e-mail titled, "sentences confirmation."

8. Experience teaches.
-- Experentia docet.

9. The Goddess ought to show her pictures to me.
-- Dea picturas mihi monstrare debet.

10. Minerva ought to teach the girl.
-- Minerva puellam docere debeo.

11. We ought to give houses to the inhabitants of Lydia.
-- Incolis Lydiae, casas debemus donare.

12. Give me wisdom, Goddess.
-- Dea, dona me sapientia.

13. What is your name, little girl?
-- Quid est nomen tibi, puella parva?

14. Work with me, farmers.
-- Agricolae, laborate mecum.[/face]

Caeruleus

phil
Textkit Fan

Post by phil »

#8 experientia (just a typo I suspect)
#10 debeo should be debet (another typo?)
#12 I think that sapientia should be accusative, as it is the object of the imperative. Also, me should be dative, as it is the indirect object.
#13 tibi is dative, what you're trying to do here is describe the name, so I think you should use the adjective form: it should be nomen tuum.

solitario
Textkit Neophyte

Post by solitario »

I yield to phil here, but I'm curious... What does "dona" refer to in #12?
Its not a form of do, dare, dedi, datum. It looks like "gifts (pl.)."

phil
Textkit Fan

Post by phil »

There is also another verb dono, -are, -avi, -atum which has a similar meaning to do. I'm sure more knowledgeable people than I can point out the subtle difference in meaning between the two.

MickeyV
Textkit Neophyte

Post by MickeyV »

phil wrote:#8 experientia (just a typo I suspect)
#12 I think that sapientia should be accusative, as it is the object of the imperative. Also, me should be dative, as it is the indirect object.
#13 tibi is dative, what you're trying to do here is describe the name, so I think you should use the adjective form: it should be nomen tuum.
ad #12: a misleading word, donare. :) It has in fact two uses: "donare alicui aliquid" (the one you had in mind) ánd "donare aliquem aliquo". This second form is employed in #12. In it, the person is pictured as the one who undergoes the act of giving, while the thing being given is thought of as the means by which this giving is performed.

as for #13: quid should be quod ("quid" is regularly used as a substantive only, not as an adjective interr. pronoun), but other than that it is correct. If we should render the sentence into what propose "quod nomen tuum est?", the emphasis would lie on the fact of possession. But the questioner doesn't is not so much interested in that fact, as he is in the question what it is, that is owned. :)

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

To shed a little light on donare:

Give wisdom (acc.) to me (dat.)

Present me (acc.) with wisdom (abl.)
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

MickeyV
Textkit Neophyte

Post by MickeyV »

Quite right.