Textkit Logo

phobias

Here's where you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

phobias

Postby biko » Fri Apr 30, 2004 8:20 pm

I read somewhere that the original prefixes for different types of phobias were in Greek. I was wondering if anybody knew what "decoy-phobia" would be. I used a free translation service, but it couldn't give it to me in English characters/spelled phonetically. δόλωμα
biko
Textkit Neophyte

Re: phobias

Postby Kerastes » Sat May 01, 2004 2:30 pm

biko wrote:I read somewhere that the original prefixes for different types of phobias were in Greek.

This is true. Find a Greek word, stick it onto phobia (or philia) and you have the fear of (or liking for) whatever it is.

I was wondering if anybody knew what "decoy-phobia" would be. I used a free translation service, but it couldn't give it to me in English characters/spelled phonetically. δόλωμα

The word I found in my little dictionary is [face=SPIonic]do/loj[/face] (dolos), which would yield dolophobia, though I wonder whether there might be a better name for such a condition, more indicative of its psychological roots.

Kerastes
Kerastes
Textkit Neophyte

Postby biko » Sat May 01, 2004 6:23 pm

thanks for your help
biko
Textkit Neophyte

Return to Learning Greek