phobias

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
biko
Textkit Neophyte

phobias

Post by biko »

I read somewhere that the original prefixes for different types of phobias were in Greek. I was wondering if anybody knew what "decoy-phobia" would be. I used a free translation service, but it couldn't give it to me in English characters/spelled phonetically. δόλωμα

Kerastes
Textkit Neophyte

Re: phobias

Post by Kerastes »

biko wrote:I read somewhere that the original prefixes for different types of phobias were in Greek.
This is true. Find a Greek word, stick it onto phobia (or philia) and you have the fear of (or liking for) whatever it is.
I was wondering if anybody knew what "decoy-phobia" would be. I used a free translation service, but it couldn't give it to me in English characters/spelled phonetically. δόλωμα
The word I found in my little dictionary is [size=134]δόλος[/size] (dolos), which would yield dolophobia, though I wonder whether there might be a better name for such a condition, more indicative of its psychological roots.

Kerastes

biko
Textkit Neophyte

Post by biko »

thanks for your help