St. B.L.D EX. 136; P 57. Niobè...

Are you learning Latin with D'Ooge's Beginners Latin Book? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback and comments from others.
Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

St. B.L.D EX. 136; P 57. Niobè...

Post by Episcopus »

Niobè, règina Thèbanõrum, erat pulchra fèmina sed superba. <br />Erat superba nõn sõlum fõrmã suã maritique potentiã sed etiam magnõ liberõrum numerõ. Nam habèbat septem filiõs et septem filiãs. Sed ea superbia erat règinae causa magnae tristitiae et liberis causa durae poenae.<br /><br />Niobe, queen of the Thebans, was a beautiful woman yet proud. She was proud not only because of her bootay and power of (her) husband but also due to her great number of children. Indeed, she had seven sons and seven daughters. But this pride was for the queen because of great sadness and for (her) children because of tough punishment. <br /><br /><br />I am not sore on the last line and whether "causa magnae tristitiae" be "because of great sadnesses" or as above, if it be the genitive - for I am not sure on the usage of 'causa' - I prefer ablative of cause ;D<br /><br />So as usual help needed!

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Re:St. B.L.D EX. 136; P 57. Niobè...

Post by Episcopus »

1.Iis Thèbãni sacra crebra parãbant = For them, prepared the Thebans frequent sacrifices.<br /><br />2.Id superbae règinae erat molestum = this, to the proud queen, was annoying. (Does this mean that "Id" can just be used to describe something random, like 'ce' in french?) <br />Or am I totally wrong!<br /><br />3. "Cur", inquit, "Lãtõnae er liberis sacra parãtis?" = "Why", she asks "for Latona and (her) children prepare you sacrifices?"<br /><br />4. Lãtõna iis verbis irãta liberõs suõs vocat = The angry Latona, because of these words, calls her own children <br />(that irãta was a bishop!)<br /><br />5. Ad eam volant Apollõ Diãnaque et sagittis suis miserõs liberõs règinae superbae dèlent = To her fly Apollo and Diana et with their (own) arrows kill (destroy) the wretched children of the proud Queen. <br /><br />(why not use necãre there?)<br /><br />6. Niobè, nuper laeta, nunc misera, sedet apud liberõs interfectõs et cum perpetuis lacrimis eõs dèsiderat = Niobè, lately happy, now miserable, sits among her slain children and with continuous tears cries.<br /><br /><br />=What a story!

ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by ingrid70 »

[quote author=Episcopus link=board=3;threadid=276;start=0#1660 date=1058706638]<br /><br />I am not sore on the last line and whether "causa magnae tristitiae" be "because of great sadnesses" or as above, if it be the genitive - for I am not sure on the usage of 'causa' - I prefer ablative of cause ;D<br /><br />So as usual help needed! <br />[/quote]<br /><br />Causa is nominative (short a) and in apposition with superbia<br /><br />translate it as 'this pride was the cause of great sadness for the queen and the cause of tough punishment* for the children'. <br /><br />* not fair: the children are punished for their mother's pride.<br /><br />Hope this helps<br />Ingrid

ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by ingrid70 »

[quote author=Episcopus link=board=3;threadid=276;start=0#1661 date=1058707508]<br /><br />2.Id superbae règinae erat molestum = this, to the proud queen, was annoying. (Does this mean that "Id" can just be used to describe something random, like 'ce' in french?) <br />Or am I totally wrong!<br /><br />* you're right. Id = this thing = the preparing of sacrifices<br /><br /><br />4. Lãtõna iis verbis irãta liberõs suõs vocat = The angry Latona, because of these words, calls her own children <br />(that irãta was a bishop!)<br /><br />* I'd say: Latona, angry because of these words, ...<br /><br />5. Ad eam volant Apollõ Diãnaque et sagittis suis miserõs liberõs règinae superbae dèlent = To her fly Apollo and Diana et with their (own) arrows kill (destroy) the wretched children of the proud Queen. <br /><br />(why not use necãre there?)<br /><br />* This is the short version :). Actually, The story of Niobe is in the part of Ovid's Metamorphosis that I read at school (years ago). Ovid describes the killing of each child, Apollo kills the boys, Diana the girls. It sounds more terrible when you use 'destroy'. More dead.<br /><br />6. Niobè, nuper laeta, nunc misera, sedet apud liberõs interfectõs et cum perpetuis lacrimis eõs dèsiderat = Niobè, lately happy, now miserable, sits among her slain children and with continuous tears cries.<br /><br />Desiderare = miss, long for: Niobe sits among het slain children and longs for them (eos) with continuous tears.<br /><br />=What a story!<br /><br />In Ovid, she turns into a piece of marble, from which water is still leaking to this day. <br />[/quote]<br /><br />Ingrid

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

;D<br /><br />heh thanks ... silly mistake on desiderãre though...!

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

ingrid70 wrote:<br /><br />Causa is nominative (short a) and in apposition with superbia<br /><br />translate it as 'this pride was the cause of great sadness for the queen and the cause of tough punishment* for the children'. <br /><br />* not fair: the children are punished for their mother's pride.<br /><br />Hope this helps<br />Ingrid<br />
<br /><br />Ah! I should have known! So obvious! thanks >:(