Here's where you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!
1) What are the good philology books? I've got Sihler, and I understand that it's fairly good/authoratative/reasonable (and expensive...). What are the other important works? How do they differ? Are they worth obtaining?
2) How exactly is philology taught? At universities as part of classics courses I would imagine, but otherwise? I have no idea. All I know I've picked up by browsing Sihler (a fascinating past-time... can take up hours)
And what are your backgrounds in this subject (Paul, Ptolemaias, Annis et al?)
- Textkit Fan
- Posts: 268
- Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2003 9:46 pm
- Location: Christ Church Oxford
How exactly is philology taught? At universities as part of classics courses I would imagine, but otherwise? I have no idea.
As far as know it's not only part of classics course but also of medieval English or French for example. Any old language really
. Can't say much else about philology though
- Global Moderator
- Posts: 1564
- Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2003 8:01 pm
- Location: London
Return to Learning Greek
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: GJCaesar, Google Adsense [Bot], Paco and 44 guests