Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
1) What are the good philology books? I've got Sihler, and I understand that it's fairly good/authoratative/reasonable (and expensive...). What are the other important works? How do they differ? Are they worth obtaining?
2) How exactly is philology taught? At universities as part of classics courses I would imagine, but otherwise? I have no idea. All I know I've picked up by browsing Sihler (a fascinating past-time... can take up hours)
And what are your backgrounds in this subject (Paul, Ptolemaias, Annis et al?)
- Textkit Fan
- Posts: 268
- Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2003 9:46 pm
- Location: Christ Church Oxford
How exactly is philology taught? At universities as part of classics courses I would imagine, but otherwise? I have no idea.
As far as know it's not only part of classics course but also of medieval English or French for example. Any old language really
. Can't say much else about philology though
- Global Moderator
- Posts: 1564
- Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2003 8:01 pm
- Location: London
Return to Learning Greek
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], markscala, rmedinap and 55 guests