Hi, I am Greek (or Graecus)

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
konstantinos
Textkit Neophyte

Hi, I am Greek (or Graecus)

Post by konstantinos »

Hello people,
My name is Konstantinos, i 'm from Athens and i just discovered this forum/blog.
I m feeling awesome connecting with people trying to learn the two most important languages of the world that are the origins of all the languages spoken today.
I am more than happy to help anyone who needs tips about the Greek language, however i cannot speak any Latin at all.

Cheers,
Konstantinos

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Re: Hi, I am Greek (or Graecus)

Post by jeidsath »

It's wonderful to have you here. I have a few questions:

How do Greek schools currently handle education in the ancient tongue? I have heard that it is less emphasized today than in previous decades.

What are the most important cultural survivals still left today? I have read late 19th century books about modern Greek folk traditions, and wondered if any of those stories or superstitions might still exist in rural areas.

Modern Greek still contains the gender distinctions of the ancient language. Are there any situations where those genders tinge the meaning of words? We call a ship "her" in English, and it adds some ineffable color that would not be there using "it."
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

konstantinos
Textkit Neophyte

Post by konstantinos »

Hi jeidsath,

nice to be here.

Firstly, i strongly believe that these two languages should be taught in every school in every country all over the world, let alone in Greece. However in Greece, ancient greek and latin are not only an optional lesson in high school but they are taught fewer and fewer hours every year. The revelant minister of education believes that is better to not "pester" the kids with a language that is no more spoken. As a result, we are killing our own roots and consequently our values and morals. And that is a young adult speaking, not even a middle-aged person. It's very harsh to see teenagers that they don't know who is Irodotos or Aristotelis, but they all know Rihanna and Steve Jobs!

As for the gender distinction, it's true that Greek articles are still the same as in ancient Greek. So, we never use masculine or feminine gender when it comes to neuter. For example, when ship is the noun, we always use the ("το") and never he or she. The only exception is when we call our pets -which we love too much to admit that they are just pets-, and call them he or she depending on their gender!

Sorry for my ignorance but I have not understand what you mean by cultural survivals. The monuments, the superstitions or the traditions? Excuse me for English too.

Konstantinos

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

Thanks for the reply! I'm sorry that I didn't respond sooner, but I've been traveling.

It's great to hear that you support more education for young people. Hopefully the pendulum will swing back over the next few years.

By cultural survivals, I did mean superstitions or traditions. The monuments are interesting too, of course, but they are easier for a foreigner like me to spot.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com