New to Latin

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
aceopio
Textkit Neophyte

New to Latin

Post by aceopio »

I'm very much want to learn latin thoroughly, but I'm even having trouble with the beginner books on this site. Besides the beginner books on this site, does anyone know of some free audio lessons available on the internet that would work well in concert with the beginner books provided on this site? I searched google, but didn't find anything useful.

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

I'm not sure about audio, but I highly recommend the Learn Latin Now! software as a supplement. It starts you off with very simple sentences and gradually progresses to more difficult ones. It includes audio clips so that you can hear the words and phrases spoken, grammatical help on each word, games and quizzes to help with vocab, etc. I find it to be a great aid, in addition to a regular textbook.
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

aceopio
Textkit Neophyte

Post by aceopio »

Do you know of any free software like Learn Latin Now?

mariek
Global Moderator

Re: New to Latin

Post by mariek »

Hi Aceopio! Welcome to Textkit! Are you by any chance using Latin for Beginners by D'Ooge? If so, you'll find some other learners who are also using that book, and you can post your question os the Latin for Beginners forum. There's also an answer key, a work in progress, which is downloable from this site. Good luck!

Amy
Textkit Fan

Post by Amy »

Sorry if this is unsolicited, but if you're looking for free Latin textbooks/grammars written with modern students in mind, try your local library! I'm beginning Greek (unwise move at my stage in Latin, I know) with a book from mine.