Janua Linguarum Latin-Greek transcription online

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Phil-
Textkit Neophyte

Janua Linguarum Latin-Greek transcription online

Post by Phil- »

Hello all. I've been transcribing Comenius' Janua Linguarum Reserata in an edition with a parallel Greek translation by Theodor Simon.

See this page for the pertinent files:
  • A PDF of the transcribed text, hopperized (i.e. with links added to Perseus word lookups).
  • The Word file, latest revision.
  • Some notes on useful Greek and English editions of the Janua.
  • The Word macro used to add the Perseus links to the text. Usable for other texts.
  • A 1789 Greek-only edition of the Janua, by far the most readable. It also includes a huge Greek-Latin word index.
  • Notes on the word keys.
No doubt the text has many errors throughout, mainly transcriptional but some also in the original. If you find any errors, please post a correction here on this thread. Feel free to check or re-check any chapter, but please post beforehand what you intend to check (and check these posts, later in the thread) so that we can avoid duplicate efforts. Note that the PDF is usually dated and does not include the most recent corrections.

Sept. 23, 2014: I've merged the Greek-to-Latin word index from the 1789 edition with the text to create section-by-section word keys. Much needs fixing, but most of the words are in most cases where they should be...
See the file "Notes on word keys" for details, caveats, and to-dos.

CURRENT STAGE: Proofreading. See about 20 posts down for progress so far.

TO-DO:
- Incorporate the Lexicon Januale
- Add/link to pictures?

Thanks and enjoy!
Last edited by Phil- on Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:00 pm, edited 18 times in total.

metrodorus
Textkit Fan

Re: Janua Linguarum Latin-Greek transcription online

Post by metrodorus »

Thank you for doing this - this is a wonderful resource. Kudos.
I run http://latinum.org.uk which provides the Adler Audio Latin Course, other audio materials, and additional free materials on YouTube.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Congratulations! For proofreading, it may be useful to compare your work with the incomplete transcription made by Randy Gibbons.

Phil-
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Phil- »

Evan, it's the least I can do since I've enjoyed the fruits of the labors of so many already, including your Latin audio recordings. (Which, by the way, first introduced me to Comenius!) So I give you a hearty thanks as well. :)

Thanks, bedwere. I saw Randy's work several months ago, but for some reason Word doesn't correctly display the Greek characters, so I couldn't do much with it. I see now that the Greek text looks fine when I view it in Dropbox--go figure. That'll be helpful for sure. By the way, I'm a big fan of your excellent Greek Ollendorff recordings, and the answer key is invaluable. Many thanks!
Last edited by Phil- on Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Thank you, Phil! :D

522 σκήναῖς should be σκηναῖς

Phil-
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Phil- »

Thanks. Before I start proofreading I'm going to fix the table of contents and link the chapters to it for easier navigation.

How is the speed of the document for you guys? For me it takes a while to load and is slow to edit.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Βραδὺ μήν. :D

Phil-
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Phil- »

οὐαὶ ὑμῖν! Perhaps I'll split it into several documents for now. At least the open editing seems to be working.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Phil-
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Phil- »

Thanks, bedwere. Mirabile dictu, that one has a Greek-Latin vocabulary index at the back! (Actually, half of the document.) Too bad many of the pages are cut off on the left side. :(

I split the Google doc into four parts, which you can see linked above. Editing is much faster now, but let me know if it is still slow on your end.

The next step will be to add links for navigating between parts and, as I mentioned, links in the tables of contents.

Phil-
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Phil- »

I've made the links between documents and the ToC links for Part 1 (by applying a heading style and linking to the headings).

Tomorrow I'll be traveling, but I'll put in the rest of the links ASAP.

Phil-
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Phil- »

I have been gradually adding links, but today none of the links made so far work because the heading URLs inexplicably changed, and I can't automatically revert them back to what they were before. :( So I'll redo the first part as soon as I have a chance, then I'll wait before doing the rest.

To anyone who makes use of these docs, please go ahead and correct any mistakes you find. Feel free to post the corrections here also, but it's okay if you don't because I should be able to see any changes made to the docs, and from there I'll make the changes in the original Word file.

Phil-
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Phil- »

I decided Google Docs is too much of a hassle for this, so I uploaded a PDF onto a site that allows viewers to add comments. Hopefully this will be more convenient. See the original post above for the link.

Phil-
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Phil- »

Χάριν πολλήν σοι ἔχω, ὦ Βεδεῦρε. :D

Godmy
Textkit Member

Post by Godmy »

Wow.... that looks really great :-) Congratulations!

I've been making now something similar but I'll have unfortunately some copyright infringement problems once it's done...
Latin IRC chat: http://textkit.com/greek-latin-forum/vi ... =3&t=62017
POST·NVBILA·PHOEBVS

Phil-
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Phil- »

Thanks, Godmy. Those copyrights... we need a time machine to travel to the future and avoid those. I really enjoy using your digitized lexica, by the way. :)

Thanks, bedwere, that'll be useful. I just posted a new revision (see original post), but I'll try that out for the next one.

Godmy
Textkit Member

Post by Godmy »

I'm glad you liked/like the dictionaries website :-) I'll try to come with something new as soon as possible...

About the copyrights: In this case I might even try to ask the authors to allow me to spread the 'special' edition I'm making over the internet :P

^ ^ But what you have done looks really so stunning...
Can I ask, having seen only the beginning so far (as a false beginner in the Attic Greek): is the Greek used rather Koine or Attic? (Even though I guess the differences between these two might be for a student sometimes almost marginal: some conjugations differences and so on - but I can't really say).

(...and it happened that Comenius also came from Bohemia :) )
Latin IRC chat: http://textkit.com/greek-latin-forum/vi ... =3&t=62017
POST·NVBILA·PHOEBVS

Phil-
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Phil- »

Thanks again, Godmy. I've mainly done the grunt-work of typing and formatting, to which must be added the skill and experience of you folks around here for good proofreading. (Which is clear from the number of corrections I'm receiving on the text from bedwere.)

I'm a beginner in Greek myself, but as far as I know the Greek is Attic. Perhaps I say that because Attic is difficult for beginners compared to Koine, and this is some of the most difficult Greek I've encountered. :lol:

Whatever your project is, I sincerely hope your plans succeed and the authors cooperate.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Please double check all my corrections: believe it or not, I can be wrong! :D

Phil-
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Phil- »

:shock: I thought I was the only one... :lol:

I've been checking each in the original text and in Perseus. Sometimes the text is wrong, but more often it's a transcriptional error. Half of time I was transcribing was late at night when I was sleepy, the other half even later in a zen-like half-consciousness. :lol:

Phil-
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Phil- »

New revision posted with many corrections up until Chapter 10 (thanks bedwere!), and completely "hopperized" with Latin and Greek word search links (via a Word macro)--it doesn't look like it because I left all words black without underlining, but the words are linked.

Unfortunately NotablePDF, the site we were using for shared annotations, turned the Unicode Greek characters in the links into gibberish. I tried all the similar free sites that I could find, but they either did not work with the links or were very limited without a paid subscription. So for now I posted the text for viewing/downloading, and you can post corrections here on this thread. If anyone can think of a better idea, please let me know.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Sounds good to me. As I am a great believer in the division of labor, I suggest that whoever is going to check a chapter, he should first let us know by posting/updating in this thread, so that we may avoid duplicate efforts. However, a second check on a chapter is an excellent idea. That too should be posted here.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

I've done chapters I -C (Greek

Phil- wrote: Thanks again for all your help. I'll update the files as I work on them, and I'll let you know once I give the files a more permanent home. I look forward to enjoying your next projects. :)
Your're very welcome, Phil. I'm about 70% done with Posselius.
Last edited by bedwere on Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:03 pm, edited 274 times in total.

Phil-
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Phil- »

Mon. 1 Dec. 12:30 EST. Corrections applied to I-III Greek.
bedwere wrote:1
ἀναγνώστα --> ἀναγνῶστα
ταυτηνὶ τινὶ --> ταυτηνὶ τὴν
Oops, I thought I changed the one back when Randy pointed it out, and I don't know how I never saw the other. :?

Thanks again for all your help. I'll update the files as I work on them, and I'll let you know once I give the files a more permanent home. I look forward to enjoying your next projects. :)

I've done I-C Latin.
(19 Nov) After finishing cleaning up the plants, next I'll read it through once more, paying special attention to the glossary column, formatting, consistency, etc.
Last edited by Phil- on Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:40 pm, edited 123 times in total.

Phil-
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Phil- »

[merged to the above post]

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

no longer necessary
Last edited by bedwere on Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Phil-
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Phil- »

bedwere wrote:Forcellini says that it can belessus, us

Domnus exists.

I think it is antiquitus
But then Forcellini goes on to say that "lessus" only occurs in the accusative. I'll leave it as "lessus" unless that would be a terrible barbarism.

The text originally said "Dominus"; that was a transcriber-error.

'Antiquitus" makes more sense, thanks.

RandyGibbons
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by RandyGibbons »

Ciao Felipe and all.

I have also been working on a transcription of the Janua and am perhaps in an almost unique position to appreciate the magnitude of Felipe's achievement. Earlier this summer I learned that Stephen Hall is transcribing the Latin and the Greek translation of the Orbus Pictus. Both Stephen and Felipe have been kind enough to let me incorporate their transcriptions into mine. In turn, I am doing some post-transcription tasks such as adding vowel length markings (macrons and breves, to both the Latin and the Greek), notations, and hyperlinks to associated articles and pictures for given words in the Comenian text. You can read more on my blog (http://latinandgreekselftaught.blogspot.com/) and via my blog access my working document, as well as some thoughts I have about recording this stuff (I'm twisting Bedwere's arm hard :D .)

I've had an exciting correspondence with Felipe these last couple of weeks and look forward to continued collaboration with him, Stephen, Roberto, and others.

Randy Gibbons

RandyGibbons
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by RandyGibbons »

Ooops. Stephen Hill, not Hall.

Randy

Phil-
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Phil- »

Thanks, Randy, for your openness in sharing your work and ideas. I'm excited about this "supercharged Janua", and I'm sure Comenius would be pleased. :D

Randy knows this, but FYI: thanks to the nice version of the 1789 Greek edition that Randy has provided, I've begun to transcribe the Greek-Latin index in that edition. I'd like to add each word beside the sentence in which occurs to make word keys, just like in some editions of the Orbis Pictus (example). (Randy has incorporated these into the Orbis Pictus chapters in his document.) It looks like the transcription is going to take a few months, but once that's done a macro can do the rest. These word keys will be useful in themselves, but also as a starting point for further notes on each word.
Last edited by Phil- on Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

no longer necessary
Last edited by bedwere on Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Phil-
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Phil- »

bedwere wrote: Phil, why don't you open threads for those questions? The experts might have an answer. I can only tell you that κατασοφιστεύειν is the closest that I could find.
Done! There may be no difference between the two verbs, but I'm paranoid when it comes to changing the words of a subtilis scriptor atque elegans -- even when wrong.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

No longer necessary
Last edited by bedwere on Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Phil-
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Phil- »

bedwere wrote:προμυκτήριον in L&S
Google μυκτήριον and you'll find a few. I guess in Greek you can always add a preposition for more fun!
αἱ ἀχυρτῖδες paleolae
All I could find on "promunctorium" (=προμυκτήριον) is that it means "promontory, headland, ridge." However, according to the Novum Lexicum Manuale, "emungo candelam" = προμύττω τὸν λύχνον. I'm not good at deriving Greek words, but προμυκτήριον looks suspiciously like προμύττω...

Nice find on ἀχυρτῖδες. That book just gets more and more useful. And I just noticed the length of it. :shock:

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

No longer necessary
Last edited by bedwere on Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Phil-
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Phil- »

bedwere wrote:Time to ask again?
Good idea, done.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Phil- wrote:Thurs. Sept. 11. 7:40. Corrections applied in LXXVIII Greek.

Greek errors I noticed in the vicinity (but correct me if I'm wrong):
(Sept. 11) 785. ἱστοριογράφος -> ἱστοριόγραφος (L&S)
I didn't correct it because L&S reports also Dor. ἱστοριαγράφος ,
but maybe it's better to use the more common form.

Phil-
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Phil- »

bedwere wrote:I didn't correct it because L&S reports also Dor. ἱστοριαγράφος ,
but maybe it's better to use the more common form.
I totally missed that! But I'll use the more common form, as you say, and I'll put the Doric form in the word notes when I put those in.