Textkit Logo

liberos=children?

Here's where you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Moderator: thesaurus

liberos=children?

Postby Teo » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:31 pm

pater liberos suos amat, the father loves his children.
[Essential Latin Grammar (by Anne Mahoney), page 49.]
Why is liberos=children?
Teo
Textkit Neophyte

Re: liberos=children?

Postby whsiv » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:51 pm

I don't really know why, but I can speculate:

My thought has always been that it is based on the perspective of the pater wielding patria potestas. From his view, he has two groups of dependents/property: his servi and his children. In order to distinguish his "non-free" property from his "free" property, this latter group is called liberi.

Pure speculation.
whsiv
Textkit Neophyte

Re: liberos=children?

Postby Barry Hofstetter » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:13 pm

whsiv wrote:I don't really know why, but I can speculate:

My thought has always been that it is based on the perspective of the pater wielding patria potestas. From his view, he has two groups of dependents/property: his servi and his children. In order to distinguish his "non-free" property from his "free" property, this latter group is called liberi.

Pure speculation.

I think this is right (it's the usual explanation given). A slave child born in the household is a verna. I am not sure if a distinction would be made for a slave child who would be purchased and not born in the household...
N.E. Barry Hofstetter
The Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
Semper melius Latine sonat...
Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Neophyte

Return to Learning Latin