Textkit Logo

οὐ ῥᾴδιόν ἐστιν -- stressed twice when reading aloud?

Here's where you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

οὐ ῥᾴδιόν ἐστιν -- stressed twice when reading aloud?

Postby SarahSusannah » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:18 pm

I am currently reading 'The Chimaera', a story from Morice's Stories in Attic Greek, and I came across the following sentence talking about the beast:

ἡ Χίμαιρα θηρίον τι ἦν τερατῶδες, τὸ δὲ τοῦ σώματος εἶδος εἶχε τοιοῦτον, ὥστε οὐ ῥᾴδιόν ἐστιν αὐτὸ διηγεῖσθαι.

I was wondering whether, when you're reading this aloud, you would stress the word ῥᾴδιόν twice in practice? When I try it it sounds very odd! I have tried just stressing the first accent (but not sure if it's correct or not).

Thanks for any ideas :)
SarahSusannah
Textkit Neophyte

Re: οὐ ῥᾴδιόν ἐστιν -- stressed twice when reading aloud?

Postby Paul Derouda » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:00 pm

Ancient Greek didn't have stress accent like English but rather a pitch accent. We can't be sure about the details but probably the accented syllables had a higher pitch than the rest, with drop in pitch in the next syllable if it's an acute and during the accented syllable if it's a circumflex. Then pitch would gradually raise again until it drops again during/after the next accented syllable.

WIth ῥᾴδιόν ἐστιν, the second accent is there because ἐστιν is enclitic – it doesn't have an accent of its own, so it gets one by "leaning" on the previous syllable.
Paul Derouda
Textkit Zealot

Postby cb » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:25 pm

hi, just to add to what paul said (which i agree with), the latest grk pronunciation research suggests that the accent on the last syllable will be on a slightly lower pitch than the accent on the first syllable in the same word. this is called catathesis in the literature. see e.g. bottom of pg 2 here and there's some sort of wriggly graph on pg 5: http://members.iinet.net.au/~ada/AveryA ... tation.pdf

cheers, chad
cb
Textkit Fan

Postby Paul Derouda » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:25 pm

That's a nice article Chad – do you know if the sound files are available somewhere?
Paul Derouda
Textkit Zealot

Postby cb » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:02 pm

hi paul, i know avery andrews has some reconstructed grk audio here:

http://members.iinet.net.au/~ada/AveryAndrews/Homer/

also click the "pitch" link on the left to see more about catathesis etc.

cheers, chad
cb
Textkit Fan

Return to Learning Greek